ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FolderSize o DirectorySize with rules or filters

<< < (5/9) > >>

Contro:
 :)

Sure.
I'll comment.
Best Regards

uuderzo:
Well... i think i managed to add the filter for folder name feature. At least the positive filter. I'll need to think more about the negative (exclusion) filter.

Anyway... the semanthics is the following:

Say you want to filter folders by name, you are looking for temp folder. Then you type "\temp" as filter pattern (*, ? are supported). The backslash is the switch that tells SpaceSniffer that you want to apply the rule to folders instead of files.

SpaceSniffer will show all files which path contains the "temp" folder. All files directly under the root search (drive) are automatically excluded because the drive is not a folder. So, if a file has complete path, say "c:\program files\myapp\temp\abc\log.txt", it will be included by the filter. This means that if the temp folder contains any other number of folders, all of them are included because all of them share the temp folder.

Is this behavior correct?

Umberto

rjbull:
Well... i think i managed to add the filter for folder name feature. At least the positive filter. I'll need to think more about the negative (exclusion) filter.
[...]
Say you want to filter folders by name, you are looking for temp folder. Then you type "\temp" as filter pattern (*, ? are supported). The backslash is the switch that tells SpaceSniffer that you want to apply the rule to folders instead of files.-uuderzo (January 11, 2011, 02:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Umberto, the current version of SpaceSniffer doesn't appear to support the Directory attribute...  if that's still with us in Vista onwards (I'm an old-time DOS person).  Would it help to support that directly, or is that in effect what you're doing?

uuderzo:
RJ, can you please elaborate on this? I know that there is the directory attribute and i use it internally. I don't see any point in exposing this attribute to the user. But perhaps it's me i don't see it.

I mean, in SpaceSniffer folders are "file filter driven": they appear only if the filter populates them with files (or other folders that are recursively populated ecc ecc...). So, telling SpaceSniffer to filter only folders is useless because they will be empty. I understand the use of a folder name filter anyway.

If you can list an example of use of the directory attribute it would be nice so we can elaborate on this.

Thank you! Umberto

rjbull:
RJ, can you please elaborate on this? I know that there is the directory attribute and i use it internally. I don't see any point in exposing this attribute to the user.
[...] telling SpaceSniffer to filter only folders is useless because they will be empty.-uuderzo (January 11, 2011, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Umberto, (a) I was getting confused (b) I used DOS so long it conditions the way I think  :-[
The OP wanted a way to exclude certain directories from the listing.  In a DOS program, I'd expect to state a wildcard spec plus Directory attribute, which would mean exclude matching directories.  It now occurs to me that this leads to ambiguity, because as I understand it, DOS handles directories rather as empty files.  So does excluding a directory only exclude the "directory file" itself, or does it also exclude the contents as well, as the OP wanted?  It now sounds like you've implemented a way to do the latter, which would suit the OP.

Sorry, muddle-headed owing to too many late nights on the computer...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version