ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FolderSize o DirectorySize with rules or filters

<< < (6/9) > >>

uuderzo:
Well, filter patterns are file related.

But i'm currently working (fighting) with a parallel folder patterns syntax.

It will be unusable to apply the same filter pattern also to folders. Results would be reallt weird.
So, the default will still be to filter on files, which is natural to most users.

If one wants to filter also on folders, it should use the new syntax, that is to prepend a backslash to the pattern.
The backslash will not mean "root", it will be just a switch that will assign the pattern to the folder filter.
I choosed the backslash just because it is one of the forbidden chars so i don't risk to find a element with this char in the name.

With the new syntax, if you want to filter, say, all jpegs into temp folders (wherever they are) you will write:

*.jpg;\temp

Does it sound useable? Umberto

rjbull:
So, the default will still be to filter on files, which is natural to most users.-uuderzo (January 11, 2011, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed.  I was obsessing about the OP, which is a slightly unusual requirement.  Most people, most of the time, will just want to see where all the space has gone.

I choosed the backslash just because it is one of the forbidden chars
--- End quote ---
I wondered why you'd chosen that.  I'd have recommended "!", but, it's possible to use "!" in a file name, so your convention makes much better sense.

*.jpg;\temp

Does it sound useable? Umberto

--- End quote ---
Yes!  :)

uuderzo:
Good to know.

I have still some dubts about the "\" switch, which may be confused with the "root" specifier, but available forbidden chars are \, /, :, *, ?, ", <, >, |...

* and ? cannot be used because they are part of the pattern match syntax, | is used to negate, " sounds odd, as long as < and >...

The only survivor looks like :, that i already used as switch specifier starting char ( see :tag:, :attr: and so on). For sake of uniformity i should add the :folder: switch, but looks rather long to type. Maybe i can add both "\" and :folder: synonims.

Any hint? Umberto

rjbull:
* and ? cannot be used because they are part of the pattern match syntax, | is used to negate, " sounds odd, as long as < and >...-uuderzo (January 12, 2011, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't want <> anyway, as I think of them as redirection symbols.

For sake of uniformity i should add the :folder: switch, but looks rather long to type. Maybe i can add both "\" and :folder: synonims.
--- End quote ---
Looks like you are left with the only possible choice.  Maybe you could abbreviate it a bit, e.g. :dir: or :fol: or :fdr: or something.

Thanks!

uuderzo:
I'm concerned about adding too many synonims... at the moment i think it's better to keep only the backslash switch.

I attach a screenshot of the candidate 1.1.3.0 release. You can notice 4 new features over the many other features added):
1. Filter by folder name (here it's not shown but also negative filters are supported). After playing a bit with this feature i can say that it's cool.
2. Notice that the folders that match the folder filter pattern are displayed with name in BOLD font. This makes easier to understand why stuff has been included by the filter.
3. I filtered also by zip and jpg files. Notice they are colored with different colors (optional) because they belong to different file classes (customizable)
4. The selected element will drop a shadow (optional) to make it easier to visually track.

Greetings! Umberto

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version