topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Can we stop with the diagonal screen length thing?  (Read 21720 times)

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can we stop with the diagonal screen length thing?
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2011, 08:11 AM »
> save around 10% on production costs

That makes sense.  I guess the part I don't understand is the market not insisting on the vertical height.  The 1920 x 1200 display is absolutely the best for me, but if I couldn't use it, my old 1600 x 1200 would be my next choice, not 1920 x 1080.

But my Control key is still to the left of the "a" key, my Alt key is at the lower left, and almost every tv show I like get's canceled quickly.  So it shouldn't surprise me that what works for me probably won't be indicative of market preferences.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2011, 08:44 AM »
While I do appreciate monitors have become wider, since IDEs these days are very screen real-estate hungry, I do believe it's a shame it means limiting the vertical resolution. I can live with 1080 pixels, but more definitely wouldn't hurt!

Production costs is probably the main factor, but the form factor is probably also important in and by itself - 16:9 is the standard for HD content, and the manufacturers are probably afraid of going with something else, especially as we see TVs and computer monitors converge.
- carpe noctem

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2011, 09:13 AM »
I can't argue with any of this, but I don't have to like it!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2011, 02:39 PM »
I don't know that the manufacturer's are "afraid" of going with other than 16:9, I think they have good reason to stick to it (several of the reasons already posited in this thread). I think the vast majority of the display market consists of people not well informed (or even particularly concerned) enough to demand something other than 16:9, and in fact many consumers may like that aspect ratio because it's familiar from TVs. While there is a vocal minority like us who wants more height, the overall market doesn't care, and may even prefer widescreen (even if the reason for that preference is not well founded). So there is little or no incentive for manufacturers do to other than 16:9 displays.

- Oshyan