ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can we stop with the diagonal screen length thing?

<< < (5/11) > >>

Ath:
Sidenote:
That "HD Ready" moniker on a TV actually means you can feed it some of the recognized HD formats (sometimes as low as 1280x720 resolution, and there are lower HD resolutions), not necessarily meaning "Full HD". It's sort of the same as "High-Speed USB" that came with USB 2.0, and that says nothing about the actual highest USB speed available :(

Eóin:
Any HD-ready TVs I ever saw in shops were 1280x720 resolution. That is still a fair bit higher than regular definition, and as Ath points out, it is a HD resolution.

nudone:
well, yeah, i know what HD Ready means - because i went out my way to find out when i first saw it. but as "HD Ready" has been around for several years, way before you could even view any HD material (here in the UK) it just seems like a blatant marketing/sales ploy.

if i'd asked anyone back then what HD Ready means they'd have replied "it means it's a HD TV, OBVIOIUSLY". and that is exactly the response i did get - and still get to this day. back then, i'd even get it from "helpful" sales staff.

i've seen people now selling their old CRT TVs that are about 10 years old stating they are HD Ready and DVB Ready - because you can still view HD and DVB on the tv set - IF you plug a device in that can first handle HD and DVB. it's total nonsense.

i'm obviously Olympic 2012 "Ready" for the Men's 100 Meter Sprint.

this new "technical" definition of "ready" really ought to be changed to "rubbish". it would be a lot more honest, i think.

nudone:
good point. 720 is HD, and also crap. i'm just thankful we've now got something like a standard with 1080p. which should have been the standard right at the beginning - not "ready".

f0dder:
good point. 720 is HD, and also crap. i'm just thankful we've now got something like a standard with 1080p. which should have been the standard right at the beginning - not "ready".-nudone (January 09, 2011, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
720p is Just Fine(TM), unless you've got a ridiculously large TV - but "HD Ready" is definitely a bad label.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version