ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can we stop with the diagonal screen length thing?

<< < (6/11) > >>

nudone:
okay, i'll admit (and sorry this is going off topic) i'm not too annoyed about 720 HD. i'm just very annoyed at how the whole HD thing was introduced (in the UK, at least). it just all seemed very cynical. selling TV sets that had "HD" under one label or another - and all largely meaningless to the average customer at the beginning because they couldn't watch a HD signal. we just had the promise that one day HD would no longer be a dream.

so, we'd be told 720p was good for watching sport, because it was progressive, but you could have 1080i which was good for... I can't even remember what that was good for, it just sounded like they could mention interlace as being worse than progressive - so maybe it was better to buy 720 rather than 1080i. now 1080p is here, oh what a surprise that was to be released after everyone has bought inferior HD 1080i.

i don't even own a HD tv out of principal. i hate the b*stards that make them because i know just around the corner they'll be releasing super-duper-HD. and that 3Dtv rubbish. hate that too. hate it all.

skwire:
Given an option, I'd never go back to standard definition TV.  Ever.   :)

40hz:
good point. 720 is HD, and also crap. i'm just thankful we've now got something like a standard with 1080p. which should have been the standard right at the beginning - not "ready".-nudone (January 09, 2011, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
720p is Just Fine(TM), unless you've got a ridiculously large TV - but "HD Ready" is definitely a bad label.
-f0dder (January 09, 2011, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Got a friend who works for Hitachi. She says the only reason it's called Hi-Def is because whoever came up with the "definition" was completely "high" at the time.   ;D

:Thmbsup:

JavaJones:
I believe "HD Ready" is similar to "Vista Capable". :D

- Oshyan

Deozaan:
with widescreen monitors, the height is very important.
Mine is 16:10, I already miss the height - if it were 16:9 I'd need another one on top...
-tomos (January 08, 2011, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

16:9 should never have been allowed to make its way into the computer world.
-nudone (January 08, 2011, 01:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm curious. Could you explain your complaints with 16:9? I believe my current monitor is 16:10, but I heard that is rare.

My biggest complaint with HD is how all these supposedly HD PS3 games are really "only" 720p instead of full 1080p. :( I own 4 PS3 games on Blu-Ray and the only one that supports 1080p is the one that has pixelated 2D SNES-style graphics (Disgaea 3 for those that are interested). What good is HD output if you're using SD sprites?

EDIT: Added image.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version