ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

That NANY badge

<< < (13/21) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
The second badge could then have a changeable numeric element to acknowledge the times someone's participated.
--- End quote ---

that's an interesting idea, and feasible.  though i think just one nany badge in that case, with a number indicating how many times you've participated.
-mouser (January 16, 2011, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless I miss my guess, it is also "script-able," as in could be automated, no?   

Perry Mowbray:
The second badge could then have a changeable numeric element to acknowledge the times someone's participated.
--- End quote ---

that's an interesting idea, and feasible.  though i think just one nany badge in that case, with a number indicating how many times you've participated.
-mouser (January 16, 2011, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

and that would get around an ever lengthening problem:

you only get one coding snack badge regardless of how many you do??

nudone:
sounds like a very good idea to have the single badge that reflects the number of times you've participated.

you could always display all the individual badges you'd collected in your profile.

worstje:
Hrm, there's another idea. :)

Which brings me to something that might sound silly... but would that be in years of participation, or amount of apps released? More apps in a single year doesn't mean that there's any less effort involved per-app, after all. Especially with the 6+ months-lasting NANY event we had this time I think it might be fairer to not just move stuff in terms of participating, but also in the fruits of the effort.

Sure, someone could game it and release 10 apps in a single year, but I doubt that'll happen or we'd already be getting very questionable NANY entries just so people could get a badge as-is. (Which we aren't last I checked.)

Of course, I can kind of imagine people from previous years disliking such an idea a bit as it kind of 'devalues' their older entries. :D Likewise, one might wonder about going that number-in-badge route with normallisher Coding Snacks.  But in the end, I think that if we start using a number to indicate an amount, or even 'amount of times participated' instead of a general badge or yearly badge, rethinking the right thing to 'count' in the first place might be a good idea.

CodeTRUCKER:
Ok, well this brings us full circle.   8)

I know I suggested some changes, but in thinking about it, I see things differently.

NANY is all about participation.  Perhaps just use, the present, one badge that indicates any NANY participation.  Who's keeping score any way?  So what if a person contributes 1 year or 10?  What's next... NANY "Privates," "Lieutenants," "Generals?"

Adding another NANY badge is not going to make me work any harder to get my 2012 app out there and not adding another badge won't prevent me from entering as many future NANYs as I have time for and inclination.  I do it because I love doing it!  NANY is a blast! :Thmbsup:

Frankly, if it hadn't been for the help of the people that kept pushing, advising and encouraging me, "VeggieSquares" might not even have materialized.  

I remember the night I was going to cash it in because I had snafu'd and overwrote my entire source with something else and didn't realize it until it was too late.  I posted my regrettable forfeit.  If the next post had not been, "Hey CodeTRUCKER, did you look in the...?"  I would have given up, but although it wasn't where my fellow DC'er had suggested, my memory was triggered to look in a place I had forgotten and I was able to restore about half the source.  That was not a lot, but it was enough for me to not give up.  If the poster had not cared about my success, it would have been over for that round.

So, you tell me ... who deserves the NANY badge more?  Me or the folks that kept me going?  I couldn't have done it without them, especially, "A. Nonymous!"

IMHO,
Calvin

<Edit> I fully realize I only have *1* NANY badge, so it would seem I have nothing to lose in this debate?  While this is reasonable to assume at this juncture, I will be participating in future NANYs.  Given this I do have a real stake in this discussion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version