ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

That NANY badge

<< < (11/21) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
that's why i was voting for dif colors -- just to break up the monotony.  maybe if they were all in same family -- like pastels.
i think the other reason, besides just the aesthetic niceness of seeing not just a row of the same icons, would be that it kind of helps identify the group -- ie the orange nany badges all participated in the same nany, etc. 
-mouser (January 16, 2011, 04:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried to see how many diferent colors are really distinguishable at 16px x 16px?  Let's just try and see...

Red, Blue and Yellow are the primary colors we can start with.

Now if we add the secondary

Red + Blue = Maroon
Blue + Yellow = Green
Yellow + Red = Orange

Ok now we have 6 colors that has a reasonable contrast, but the text (assuming we start with Black would have to be reversed to White on Blue and Maroon for sure and may need to be considered on Red and Green, depending on how the Black text looks.

What other colors could be added that would still have reasonable distinction at that tiny a footprint?  How different would a Purple look net to a Blue?  Would a Red-Orange be distinguishable from Red or Orange?

Even if we added three more colors to the options, that only gives us 9 choices before we have to redesign the NANY badge, or repeat previous colors.

This is my point.  At a 16 pixel square, there just isn't enough real estate to get too fancy.  Now this is my personal views, but I'll be happy to defer to others as well as more experienced graphics professionals.

Thanks for the ear,
Calvin

nudone:
i prefer hamradio's  badge style to the gradient.. i think at that small resolution it just looks cleaner.
-mouser (January 16, 2011, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

right. i was just trying to get the words "nany" and the year on there without it becoming unreadable. after that, i thought i may as well add something for the background and a solid colour looked a bit plain. didn't bother with anything else as i think it will get in the way of the text.

but, no reason the badges should have text on them really is there. or, here's a quick idea, how about doing them so they look like those big single day calendars you stick on your desk; like the one that features in the original nany mug image.

edit:
actually, that one in the nany mug image isn't really like the real single day calendar thing (where you rip off each day).

CodeTRUCKER:
I maybe would wonder about having a different colour for Entrant and Admin (/and maybe volunteer)... I know from this year where my NANY entry was a miserable failure (as far as completing goes), and it would be nice not to have that confusion in the badges.
-Perry Mowbray (January 16, 2011, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

+ 1 for this idea!  :Thmbsup:

May I suggest.

* Admin - Navy Blue on top with White Text
* Entrant - Medium Blue on Top light enough to use Black text.
* Helper - Very Light Blue with Black text
I also like Hamradio's original design.  While nudone's gradient idea at the top doesn't do anything for me (I can't see it very well), I do like his idea of using the DC Blue.  Maybe as the background for the big area at bottom?  Would the gradient work there?

Calvin

wraith808:
i prefer hamradio's  badge style to the gradient.. i think at that small resolution it just looks cleaner.
-mouser (January 16, 2011, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

^ This.

nudone:
okay, final edit with this one. i now see that trying to fit text into such a small space isn't required - and doesn't work that well.

i guess that's why icons are icons - you do away with the text and just use a nice image instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version