ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Fast/Responsive programs: An official SuperboyAC list

<< < (6/7) > >>

cmpm:
I use this beta 'Everything' since XP and now with W7.
It's at the bottom of the page.
Been working fine to me anyway.

http://www.voidtools.com/faq.php

4wd:
About Everything be sure you use latest version, not the one on frontpage. Check changlog at forum section "Announcement". . . One of those I wish would go payware to be honest.
-Bamse (January 08, 2011, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for this info.  From time to time I've simply used Everything's "Check for Updates," and I've always been told that the version I'm using (1.2.1.371) is up to date.  After reading your message, I went to the forum site and found a download for version 1.2.1.451a, but then I saw that it's an alpha (I normally avoid alphas) and it was released in November 2009!  So what's the story?  Is it stable?  Are they still working on it?  Like you, I'd gladly pay money for this program.  However, since that's apparently not possible, I'd just like to be sure that I'm not trading a stable version for one that still isn't even in beta.   :huh:
-cyberdiva (January 08, 2011, 07:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW, I've been using it since the alpha was available, (or very shortly after), and it has never been the cause of a problem on either XP when I was running it or Win7 now.

And it adds a few useful new features.

The author only works on it in his spare time and is doing a major rewrite of it AFAIK, it's an often asked question in the forum.

There's also a version available that creates static databases, good for when you want to catalog offline media.  Get it here.

mahesh2k:
Unfortunately for old XP users with FAT32 have no option to use voidtools. :(

rjbull:
@rjbull - thanks for the mention of TED. I took a quick scan of the features list and was quite impressed. I've been looking for something that was small, made extensive use of key combos, and offered word completion.-40hz (January 07, 2011, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!  :)  Sadly, TED Notepad's word completion only works on the basis of the document in hand.  I.e., you have to write a bit before it can pick up your previous text and use it as the basis for completion.  There's no independent standing word list, which limits its usefulness.  For free-standing word expanders/completers/correctors, take a look at Typing Assistant.    Typing Assistant is one of Bits du Jour's Every-Day Deals (30% off, it's about the third or fourth page down) and it's been on offer at DC in the past.  Alternatively, Comfort Software's Comfort Keys or Comfort Typing, with a different feature set, or Phrase Express, one version of which is free for personal use.

I should add, Typing Assistant (the one I currently use) meets superboyac's criteria for speed etc.  It's modestly priced, and has portable as well as installer flavours.

rjbull:
Tomahawk series of wordprocessors available from Native Winds LLC.
[...]
their commercial ($36 USD) product Tomahawk Gold [...] At $36 per license it's probably one of the biggest software bargains out there.-40hz (January 08, 2011, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

@40hz: how do you rate Tomahawk / Tomahawk Gold against PolyEdit and Softmaker's TextMaker?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version