topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WTH - software awards?  (Read 3858 times)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WTH - software awards?
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Hi all.

Few times ago I have found some free time and spent it on fixing BBCeditor bug reported by user via email.

Since then I've received many (~40) messages from various software download sites about some kind of awards (always the best something).

And now I wonder: what the heck is going on?

What the heck is going on with all these relatively new pages saying I have the most downloadable content (right with all zeros) or "super poll" winner application? Is this is a new kind of "let's share our links"* or what?

*) I was getting a lot of these since I became DC member and my page went up in Google thanks to that.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WTH - software awards?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:40 PM »
There is an old discussion here about this: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9615.0

Bottom line...you are right about most of the awards being a scam to get you to link to their site. It boosts their Google page rank and gives you a bad rating in McAfee Site Advisor, for linking to sites that are known to have some malware infested downloads.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Thanks app. I was thinking something along those lines.

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 03:57 AM »
there are many software directories out there that simply award software products in a random manner. you can distinguish the ones who really offer something serious if they download, install, test and then write reviews or articles about the awarded software. Some of them do this for free while others are asking huge amount of money for writing a simple review. I was asked even $700 for a simple review/blog post of 350 words for our "famous questions cms"

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:27 AM »
@adi_barb
Since the only page I can see some downloads s Softpedia, I don't care about others.

I was just wondering about the way Internet is going to follow.