ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Link: Why Google does not qualify for searching the web anymore

<< < (4/6) > >>

Tuxman:
A Firefox alternative is CustomizeGoogle or, as a successor, OptimizeGoogle, but they can only filter by domain or wildcard, so "random" domains are still there.

Bamse:
Yeah but it only grey out domains, make them non-clickable right? But one to check, have not tried new version of CustomizeGoogle https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/52498/ I think most regular Google users know exactly what to wipe out, can't wait to do it either. I don't see many Yahoo Answers lately but 1-2 year ago they seem to pop up for every computer related search I did. May be Web history kicks in since I rarely clicked on them.

Tuxman:
Yeah but it only grey out domains, make them non-clickable right?-Bamse (January 11, 2011, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Right.

JavaJones:
Sorry  Bamse, but I think that's a cop-out. After all, we have plenty of weather men/meteorologists who make weather predictions all the time. ;)

But seriously, as long as you perform the tests on the same day, from common criteria, how are they not valid? Yes the results may change in a day, a week, a month, certainly in a year, but that is true of many things that are tested quite often. A more rigorous test would test over a period of months, once a day, automatically perhaps, but even just a single test on a single day would be useful.

I'm just tired of this "Google sucks, DuckDuckGo is definitely better for such and such" assertions when, so far, I have not been able to really find evidence of it. But then I am beginning to feel as if I am DC's resident Google apologist. ;)

- Oshyan

Bamse:
Well go ahead and review :) Bing vs. Google May be I have more reservations about how results are interpreted than test it self - though you must be aware of impact from location, Goggles webhistory vs. being nobody. Do location based results get a boost while searching from a mobile unit? Who knows? There is also a Firefox extension which lets you search Google as if you were placed in Israel, Russia, US and so on. For SEO purposes of course but there are no definitive results list.

This is the real problem with Google as of now, and since long Why You Should Never Search For Free WordPress Themes in Google or Anywhere Else Classic search terms, classic result. This you can reproduce also if searching from the moon and is what feeds anti-Google movement ;) Must not forget how horrible Google is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version