ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred server OS for home use? And Why?

<< < (13/13)

40hz:
@4wd - do you know if DataSafe also backs up servers: or just workstations from the server?

4wd:
@4wd - do you know if DataSafe also backs up servers: or just workstations from the server?-40hz (January 07, 2011, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you mean does it work like rsync, where you need a client/server relationship?

Then no, it's more like your traditional Windows backup program, (ala SyncBack, etc), choose a source and destination, (which can be FTP, CD or Network Share), choose your options, (Full, Incremental, Differential, Mirror; Compression, Encryption, Versions, etc) and hit go.

If you choose a backup type of Mirror, then Hardlinks are enabled.

I haven't extensively tested it, (I've got a few small OS gremlins that I need a re-install to fix, eg. VSS isn't working), but it seemed to work OK.

eg.
1st Run - 472 jpgs/pngs (1.78GB) copied in 32s (HDD -> HDD)
2nd Run - no changes, 472 files copied in 4.5s via hardlinks  (2 or 3 seconds is because it tries to get VSS working)
3rd Run - Added another 51 jpgs, 523 files copied in 6.9s, 472 via hardlinks

Each backup run goes into it's own sub-directory named Jobname.backuptype.runnumber, (eg. Test.Mirror.00008), and then the full directory structure of what was backed up.

I haven't tested it to my FreeNAS shares, (UFS), might try that tomorrow, (technically already tomorrow here but it's 0433 :) ).

Update: Works fine to FreeNAS shares on UFS drives, happily creates hardlinks for unchanged files which reduces space requirements a fair bit.

It's quite amazing, (well to me who hasn't had experience with links), seeing six (6) backups of the exact same files and not see the available disk space drop.  Effectively, 2GB of space used to store 10GB of uncompressed data - very neat.

I think I've just created a conflict in my brain....I like the speed/versioning of DataSafe but I have SyncBack Pro :(

Must...resolve...conflict........aaarrgghhhh!  <- Brain implosion.

There is something called cwRsync that will allow you to easily integrate the rsync daemon with various flavors of Windows. Catch is the Windows rsync port requires Cygwin.-40hz (January 07, 2011, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's also DeltaCopy.

In general terms, DeltaCopy is an open source, fast incremental backup program. Let's say you have to backup one file that is 500 MB every night. A normal file copy would copy the entire file even if a few bytes have changed. DeltaCopy, on the other hand, would only copy the part of file that has actually been modified. This reduces the data transfer to just a small fraction of 500 MB saving time and network bandwidth.
--- End quote ---
In technical terms, DeltaCopy is a "Windows Friendly" wrapper around the Rsync program, currently maintained by Wayne Davison. "rsync" is primarily designed for Unix/Linux/BSD systems. Although ports are available for Windows, they typically require downloading Cygwin libraries and manual configuration.
--- End quote ---

DeltaCopy doesn't require CygWin, all Client/Server binaries are in the one installation binary and it's very easy to set up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version