ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred server OS for home use? And Why?

<< < (5/13) > >>

JavaJones:
Oh man...
OK, I think I'm going to have to set aside a couple of weeks in the next few months to explore all of this.  I have no idea what is going.  i don't know the differences in all of these things, i don't get it.  I'm hearing all sorts of contradictory things, I'm not going to be able to make a decision this way.  It's ok, I appreciate the help, but I think this is going to take a lot of legwork and time on my end until I know what I'm doing.
-superboyac (January 04, 2011, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

You know Windows 7 already. You can try this stuff on smaller data sets (e.g. shared libraries) and see if it does what you want. If not, go for the bigger guns. If so however, you've saved yourself time and money.

It's really all about accurately and completely (as much as possible) determining your needs and then mapping the solutions that exist to those needs as closely as possible. If for example you have a bunch of folders on separate machines that you want to access as a single index of files, and you want every machine on your network to be able to do this, then Stoic's suggestion makes more sense than Win7 default. But I don't need to do this, and it didn't sound like you do either. Instead I have 4 network shared libraries - music, movies, tv, and data, the first 3 of which are on the media server, the latter on the data server - and these are linked to on all my machines here. It's a pretty easy and convenient setup as far as I'm concerned.

- Oshyan

Shades:
In my experience the communication between any PC that runs XP/2003 (or older) and the one that is running 'HomeGroup' (7, 2008R2) is not great...to put it mildly. If you plan to use such a mixed environment, than I strongly suggest to not use the 'HomeGroup' crap at all.

In Windows 7 it is possible to set up your networking for a 'Work' environment, which appears to "kill" the HomeGroup features.

According to Fred Langa you can actually gain 10 to 15% of raw networking speed just by disabling 'HomeGroup'.

JavaJones:
Interesting tidbit Shades. I haven't had any major problems with the few XP machines I have left, but admittedly they seldom access the network resources. Everything else is on Win7. The network speed issue is of greater interest to me though...

Edit: To clarify, I'm not actually using "Homegroup" in my setup, though I'm not sure I've properly and fully disabled it. But I did suggest that above just because it's pretty easy to get working as long as you have other Win7 machines. But superboyac is surely savvy enough to use regular Windows networking and given the advantages you've mentioned, I think it's worth doing that, especially in a mixed environment.

- Oshyan

40hz:
@SB-

A server's primary function is to provide security. It does this by controlling access to resources and data assets stored on a network. Anything else a server does after that is pure gravy.

Some suggestions in no specific order:

- If you don't need much security - and all you want to do is store and share files - a NAS solution is your best bet.

- If you want/need to do more than that (i.e. provide remote access, have user roles, offer additional services such as VMs, HTTP or SFTP) then you will want to get a 'real' server.

-For home or SOHO use, Windows Home Server is all you'll need. It's very easy to work with. And it doesn't take a pilot's license to fly it. At a street price of around $100 (so far) it's also pretty cheap for a product that has full tech support available.

-Don't even bother running print shares off a home or SOHO server. Unless you need to restrict who gets to use the printer (or account for the number of pages coming off it) just go for a printer with network capabilities. Print directly to it over your network and be done with it.

For a business with plans to grow (or just delusions of grandeur) the choices get a little more complicated.

-If you're going to maintain it yourself, it doesn't really matter what you pick. Linux or Windows - either way you've got some work and book time ahead of you.

-If you're hiring, pick whatever the most popular platform in your area is . Because that's what the talent pool you're going to hire from is likely working with - and knows best.

In my neck of the woods, it's Windows Server hands down. Out in sunny Los Angeles or Frisco Bay it's probably more likely to be an even split between BSD and Bill Gates.

-If you want to try a general Linux server solution, and it's your maiden voyage, try one of these first: Zentyal or ClearOS. They're very forgiving since they have a nice GUI to work with until earn your Techno-Wonk Beanie-copter.

(Note: Effective 10/17/1999 - having webbed-feet is no longer a requirement in order to wear a 'B-C.')

Luck! :Thmbsup:

JavaJones:
Well said (as usual) 40hz. Security is of course one biggie I missed in my list above, though several of the entries sort of tie back in to that. Basically, access control.

I haven't worked with WHS myself, but I'm curious about it. Like I said above, Win7 (Home Premium in case anyone is curious) works fine for my needs, which I think are pretty extensive for a home user. But WHS might fulfill my needs even better. I'm just a bit wary after they removed the storage concatenation feature recently, and I'm unsure what the future of the product is.

Also a good recommendation as far as printing goes. My wireless all-in-one Canon has been awesome in this regard. Seamless multi-user access.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version