ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to choose the best Linux distro for laptops

<< < (5/8) > >>

Edvard:
If you know a distribution well, then just about any distribution that allows you to build up from a minimal install will work, and is a worthy approach since you already know the distro and the community. Gentoo, arch, Debian, Slackware (being a contrarian that is what I tend to use :D ) (I would not try this with any of redhat, suse or fedora as I have never had any luck getting any of these to give me what i would consider a minimal install)
-iphigenie (March 13, 2011, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I too ran slackware for a few years and learned much from the experience, but hand-installing lib after lib just to get one application that wasn't pre-installed running grated on my nerves.
I hear they fixed that...
The big challenge with that approach is figuring out
- the windowing/desktop environment
- a good mix of apps that fit well together and with the libraries of your chosen environment (qt, gtk, etc.)

that is a lot of research and figuring out (and I always end up giving up after I realise I have just messed up the mix by picking an app that has added half of KDE or Gnome or both!)

--- End quote ---
Which is why I like the APT system of Ubuntu/Debian.
It tells me what the dependencies are and if I suddenly have to download 100 megs of dependency to run a note-taking application, I know to look elsewhere.
Many strides have been made lately to further separate applications from their intended Desktop Environment.
It's not perfect yet, but better.
I also prefer the Xfce desktop for it's relative agnosticity toward toolkits.
OK, it leans pretty heavy on GTK, but it doesn't complain when I want to run a Qt app, either.
This is where I think that slitaz, pclinux0S and salix, for example, have "pre-made" a set of choices. Salix has access to everything in slackbuilds, and pclinuxos has a very large repository. Slitaz has "recipes" for a lot less, but it is easy to create one for a lot of software (even I managed) once you understand the process.

--- End quote ---
+1 for Slitaz, although it looks as if the website is down: http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/slitaz.org  :huh:

bob99:
I noticed PCLinuxOS mentioned here and in a couple of other posts on the forum.  In looking for information on different live cd's I came across this PCLinuxOS site: http://www.pclinuxos.com/
There is also a link on this site to a monthly PCLinuxOS magazine: http://pclosmag.com/
The magazine is available in html or PDF versions.  The PDF versions I've downloaded so far are 40-60 pages and cover a variety of topics.  Reviews, tutorials, configurations...

Searched the forums here and didn't see either of these sites mentioned before and thought I'd pass them along.  Might be of some help.

Edvard:
I'm one of those that th PCLOS folks would find intolerable: I REALLY WANT a 64-bit version.
I understand it's a solid OS, nothing gets in an official release that threatens to be too unstable.
"It's ready when it's ready" is a fine motto for most things, but golly-gee-whillikers, folks... 64-bit has been a viable option for more than a few years now.  :huh:

That said, I've heard over and over that PCLinuxOS is a wonderful distro; lightweight, friendly, and stable.
Give that one a shot as well, Deo.

40hz:
I've used PCLinuxOS in the past and had generally favorable experiences with it. Very user friendly community behind it.

If you're feeling adventurous, my current fav for laptop use is CrunchBang Linux. It's based on the Debian repositories and  uses Openbox as it's primary window manager.

Fluid, fast, darkly themed, and sometimes just a little too leading edge (in places) for its own good.  ;D

If you're a fan of Conky you'll feel right at home.

Not to say it has to stay dark...

Dynamite distro, although it may not be the best choice for your first foray into Linux on a laptop. But we're a fairly knowledgeable and clever crew here - so then again, maybe it might.

There's a live CD available which makes it easy to try out without making a commitment.

Good review (older version) here.

The latest release is reviewed here.

8)

Edvard:
Ooh... forgot about #!

It was touted as the forthcoming OS of choice for a Linux "pad" computer.
Remember the CrunchPad?
Sad story, but the OS is none too shabby.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version