ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to choose the best Linux distro for laptops

(1/8) > >>

zridling:

Mayank Sharma helps you pick which Linux distro is best for your notebook over at Techradar.  He covers gaming, movies, and office work and plays it safe among Ubuntu variants, Fedora, and openSUSE. I'd buy a laptop because they're so cheap these days, but I'd never take it anywhere. So I'll keep building my own little desktops on the cheap.

40hz:
I'll keep building my own little desktops on the cheap.
-zridling (January 03, 2011, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 8)

And all this time I thought I was alone doing that. :Thmbsup: ;D

Edvard:
Actually, I've been looking very closely at some low-mid-range laptops for my ferry commute.
Looking at $600 limit doesn't leave me very much, but Dell and Toshiba seem to be offering the most at that price.
Most modern laptops can handle Xubuntu  :-* pretty well, so it's not about distro.

I will say that Slitaz was pretty darn smooth on an old Dell Inspiron 7500, which clocked in at 400 MHz and 256MB RAM, and Puppy did OK too, though neither of them ran the wireless reliably.

I'll still be building desktops until they just don't make them anymore, as well... :Thmbsup:

sword:
Thanks zridling. :Thmbsup:
I was using trial-and-error, mostly error. My Toshiba Satellite only likes Knoppix v511. I tried all the other Knoppix versions. Puppy pulp_002 is the only one that works, not v412PAW, v431, v500, v511 on the Toshiba. I think they don't like my Telus DSL modem.

Josh:
I am using fedora 14 right now on my netbook, centos on my test server, and am contemplating gentoo for a spare system I have lying around.

On that note, I finally found

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/272247

which helped me solve that very issue. Gotta love netbooks! acpi_skip_timer_override + hpet=disable saved me this time. The OS not receiving system interrupts unless a key is pressed or trackpad touched is HIGHLY annoying as it halts ALL system I/O.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version