ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

RedLetterMedia Reviews Star Wars and more

<< < (2/5) > >>

mouser:
There are reviews of the reviews on this page where you can see how skeptical but then impressed some other movie review sites are with the site:
http://www.redlettermedia.com/links.html

Deozaan:
I was bored and not really enjoying it much for about the first 20-25 minutes, but then he starts to pick the movie apart and point out real reasons (with examples) why the movie was bad and that's when it started to get more enjoyable.

Still not sure why he sounds drunk and has slurred speech. Probably just part of the humor.

On to part 2.

JavaJones:
I've watched all his reviews (even the ones of Star Trek and other films) and they're all somewhat entertaining to me, occasionally totally hilarious, and also occasionally quite insightful. I don't really need the weird voice and strange "back story" kidnapper/rapist stuff, which is played out more in some of the other reviews. But overall I think they're pretty enjoyable and, as mouser said, surprisingly insightful at times.

It's easy to dismiss Jarjar as "just comic relief, like so many other movies", as if the mere existence of comedic relief is justification for *any flaws in execution*. Certainly you're right that C3PO and R2D2 were both comic relief in the original movies. That being the case I don't think many would really argue Star Wars is or should be without humor. So simply saying "Jarjar is comic relief" doesn't answer critics of his character at all. It's a classic straw man, you're making the assumption that the argument was based on people feeling that *type* of character shouldn't exist, when in fact I think most people just thought it was done poorly. The difference with R2D2 and C3PO is they were a lot more subtle and, well, funny. Jarjar simply was *poorly executed* comic relief. He is unfunny, unnecessarily juvenile, and downright offensive at times. And I think it's interesting to note actually that even though C3PO and R2D2 are *in* the prequels, they are in fact notably less funny, charming, and generally lovable than in the 2nd trilogy. I can only blame the writing. When even R2D2 has multiple "fart jokes" you know there's a problem.

- Oshyan

mouser:
One recurring theme through his reviews of all 3 star wars prequels is how serously he treats the original star wars movies in terms of the art of storytelling and moviemaking -- and how he explains precisely where the prequels contradict the core essence of what made the originals so good.  There is even a detailed shot-by-shot comparison to citizen kane at one point.  Time and time again he ponders the possibility that Lucas himself does not understand exactly why the original Star Wars movies worked so well, and explains why they did.  Again some of the insights are surprisingly deep.

Renegade:
I was bored and not really enjoying it much for about the first 20-25 minutes, but then he starts to pick the movie apart and point out real reasons (with examples) why the movie was bad and that's when it started to get more enjoyable.
-Deozaan (January 02, 2011, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I should go back and have a look at some of the later vids. I'd only made it up to about 20 minutes.

@Oshyan - The thing I found with his criticism of Jarjar was that it amounted to little more than "Jarjar sux". He didn't put anything forward about why he did, which made it unenjoyable to watch.

I'm looking forward to getting to some of the good stuff though. Sounds like some of those movies where they're just SLOOOWWW to get to things, which I didn't expect in a review. I expected it to be pretty much similar all the way through.

I take a different approach to watching movies/shows than most people. I try to suspend all disbelief and just roll with it. I don't watch trailers either. I find that it lets me enjoy things for what they are more.

I remember watching the first Batman movie and HATING it. It was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. But then again, it was so hyped and pumped that my expectations for it were sky-high. I don't let that sort of thing happen anymore.

One other thing though -- When we all watched Star Wars, we were different people. Applying the same standards isn't really possible because our perceptions are different now. But I never see anyone point that kind of stuff out. Everyone seems to think that they're the same person that they were in 1977.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version