ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In need of security advice ...

(1/5) > >>

barney:
Folk,

I'm setting up a Web site for baby daughter to upload her pics - she's been exercising the EOS Rebel she got for Christmas a year ago  :).

Being lazy, I decided to go with WordPress rather than build a site from scratch.

Baby daughter wants to insure that her photos cannot be captured by nefarious denizens of the Web.

I've been reading about no-copy  plugins 'til my eyes are starting to bleed, and I've tried several of the seemingly better ones, but I'm not particularly happy with the results.  I've just about decided that this would be better done via .htaccess, in spite of the fact that I'm not as conversant with it as should be.

However, I thought I'd ask here, see if one amongst you mavens of mystery/mastery might know of a plugin/process that might work.

The ones I've tried to date all seem to work well enough, although one of 'em provides many database warnings.  But the rub lies in clicking the thumbnail to produce a full-sized image.  The plugins have prevented highlighting, right click, most of the standard copy practices - until the thumbnail is clicked.  That provides the full-sized image just fine - but it's neither copy- nor right-click-protected.

At this point, I'm thinkin' that a modification to the .htaccess file might better serve the purpose, although I'm a lot weaker in that arena than I ought to be.

Oh, the reason for choosing WP is the ability to provide descriptive material for each photo, each being a separate post, in effect.  I've looked at some gallery apps, but they just don't work for her.  I've suggested photo sites - Flikr, et. al., but she doesn't trust 'em - nor do I, to any great extent.

Any suggestions as to how this aim might be accomplished?  As long as it doesn't require an ocular transfusion, I'm ready to try just about anything.

Addendum:  descriptive material might be just date and time, or it might be several paragraphs describing conditions, lighting, location, camera settings, and the like, hence the separate post concept.

mahesh2k:
Two types of plugin you need here - one is hotlink protection and another one is wp-copy protect plugin. Hotlink plugin will make sure that it is not linked outside the domain while copy protect will not let users right click on your site which gives basic protection. Now important thing you need to do is hide image URL when user performs View>source query on browser. I don't know if there are any plugins that do this but you can write custom JS plugin that hides the IMAGE urls when broswer renders them. Best option is using flash slideshow which gives some protection but even flash files can be extracted.  :s

Renegade:
It can't be done.

If you make the image available, it's available. Period. You can make it difficult for someone to get the picture, but not impossible.

The only thing you can do is to have people make accounts and then authorize them, then only serve up the pictures to those people that you want to see them.

For that, you're better off just going with something like Flickr though. It's easier. Well, that is if you want to just have a gallery.

If anyone tells you that they can protect pictures 100%, they are lying.

The closest that you can come to it is to have a custom ActiveX, Java or Silverlight (maybe) plugin to serve the pictures and then have it black out the picture if someone tries any screen recording. However, I doubt that would even work. (Flash might have some capabilities there, but I am not sure.)

Once it's on the web... It's on the web. There's no going back. If you don't want pictures there, don't put them there.

nudone:
Renegade said it all.   :up:

Whatever you implement, you can't stop a simple screengrab - even if you stop the print screen key from working - I could always use a bit of software to grab the screen some other way.

f0dder:
+1 for Renegade and the nude one.

Unless you go to really extreme solutions involving the use of custom hardware, you can't stop nefarious people from grabbing and (mis)using your images. If your daughter puts her photos on the net, that's just a fact she'll have to live with. The various "no-copy" methods will only make it difficult for benign people who'd like to use a pic as wallpaper, it won't stop the baddies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version