topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: iDeparted - For when you die.  (Read 7287 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
iDeparted - For when you die.
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:15 PM »
iDeparted is a friend of mine's new project and it's just officially launched today~!

https://www.ideparted.com/

Screenshot - 2011-01-01 , 4_12_41 PM.pngiDeparted - For when you die.

It's for you to keep all your passwords and accounts safe online in the event of your death, so that they can be passed on to your executor or whoever.

A friend of mine died prematurely and unexpectedly a little over a year ago, and this would have solved a LOT of problems for his wife.

It's something that I know everyone could use.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: iDeparted - For when you die.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:31 AM »
While it is the last thing you will ever use,
it is the first thing you need to do!

- Melanie E.

:up:

Young people always think they are going to live forever, but I have actually lost quite a number of friends and relatives when they still were young, and I don't think I am going to live for long myself. $10 / $15 / $19 per year seems reasonable ( https://www.ideparte...hart-comparison.html ) for the provided services, but how can the customer feel assured the company will still honour the deal if iDeparted.com gets into financial problems in the future? Or when the owner has died...?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:10 AM »
While it is the last thing you will ever use,
it is the first thing you need to do!

- Melanie E.

:up:

Young people always think they are going to live forever, but I have actually lost quite a number of friends and relatives when they still were young, and I don't think I am going to live for long myself. $10 / $15 / $19 per year seems reasonable ( https://www.ideparte...hart-comparison.html ) for the provided services, but how can the customer feel assured the company will still honour the deal if iDeparted.com gets into financial problems in the future? Or when the owner has died...?

I got a phone call just a short while ago after posting that: another good friend of mine is gone. Sudden and unexpected. What a completely shitty way to start the new year... Quite honestly, the topic is pretty morbid, but it's very real. Steve could certainly have used iDeparted. He's got significant assets that I know are going to be stolen from him/his heirs now. Long convoluted story that and I'll leave it at that.

I know Nick and wouldn't hesitate to put my faith in him or his services. He does business with integrity, and those that know him will tell you the same. I'm sure he's thought about things well enough for the site to stick around. He's already made his money, and doesn't have to work, so it's not like the site is in any danger of going out of business.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:13 AM »
+1

Do it through a service like iDeparted or even just D.I.Y. It's a good idea regardless of how you implement it.

I've got something similar, except I keep my info on a regularly reviewed list which I send by e-mail to my technically savvy attorney as an encrypted enclosure whenever it changes.

Good new year's resolution: get something like this up and running for yourself before the year get's too old.

8)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Sorry to sully the thread... but it's related and on topic.

I found a YouTube video of my friend here:

It's pretty bad quality and in no way does him justice. He's "Mean Steve Piano" there. He'll be missed.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 10:28 AM »
With the advent of the web and sites like YouTube, it's interesting to see how the phrase "Gone, but not forgotten," attains a whole new level of bitter-sweetness.

@Ren: condolences on the loss of your friend. Always hard. Especially when there's the emotions that come with the holidays to mark it.

Nick Longo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:22 PM »
Thanks for the post Ryan. I really enjoyed creating iDeparted. It's a lot different from founding CoffeeCup Software but bringing something online and not by download was something I wanted to do when I retired. What made this very interesting was the emotional part, I didn't expect the emotions would make it tricky to convey Security & Compassion in One project. It was hard to separate the two things for months. I feel really good about what we created though and what I can give back to people now :D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Welcome to DC, Nick, and hope to see you come back again.

While I can appreciate that CoffeeCup has made you a wealthy man, I really think the iDeparted homepage should tell the potential customer why we should trust iDeparted to have everlasting a MUCH longer lifetime spand than usual web companies, and if there is some kind of trust fund to take over when uDepart.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Nice idea Nick, I can see that being very useful.
And welcome to the site.   :up: