ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone want to write an eBook in 2011?

<< < (5/7) > >>

timns:
I must admit, this is of interest, if there's a little more free time coming up in the very near future.

In terms of testing the waters, how about pimping the Codex Transportica site into a little e-book?

kyrathaba:
You could write the book
--- End quote ---

Hehe.  In this particular case, I am quite certain that nudone, timns, and you Mouser (or surely at least two of the three) have coding experience/expertise surpassing my own.  Is the book going to cover C++ (in which I have zero background), or Java (in which I have even less), or C# (in which I have considerable background, but am not yet an expert)?

Or is it, rather, going to cover general programming principles, with examples from multiple languages?

I have, to be honest, been giving serious consideration to writing a mid-length book on programming, from scratch, a text-adventure game in C#.  Seems like books on programming games sell like hot-cakes.  However, I'm thinking about putting that off another year or two, until I get "C# 3.0 Design Patterns" and "C# Game Programming for Serious Game Creation" under my belt.

wraith808:
Pricing there is STEEP~!

Barnes & Noble may update or alter the Pricing and Payment Terms at any time and changes will be effective and binding on you on the date thirty days from posting, as described in the PubIt! Terms & Conditions.

Publisher will set a List Price for each eBook between $0.99 and $199.99.

Publisher will be paid a royalty off the List Price according to the following terms:

1. For eBooks with a List Price at or between $2.99 and $9.99
          * 65% of the List Price
   2. For eBooks with a List Price at or below $2.98 or at or greater than $10.00 (but not more than $199.99 and not less than $0.99)
          * 40% of the List Price

Publisher will, at all times, ensure that the eBook List Price:

1. Is no greater than the eBook's List Price at any other retailer, website, or sales channel.
   2. Is no greater than the eBook's print edition (if applicable).
   3. Complies with the minimum and maximum pricing policy as stated above.

Sample royalty calculation:

1. List Price: $9.99 - Publisher Royalty: $6.49
   2. List Price: $20.00 - Publisher Royalty: $8.00
--- End quote ---

Especially for just listing your product. It's not like they're actually going to market it or do anything. 40% or 65% just to put on on the shelf? YIKES~!
-Renegade (January 03, 2011, 12:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I think you're reading that wrong :)  Look at the bold part... and you are the 'publisher'.

You *get* 65% if your book is between $2.99 and $9.99, i.e. 5% less than Amazon.  So Amazon is a better deal since they changed their rules (I believe after PubIt launched), but not by much.

Renegade:
Actually, I think you're reading that wrong :)  Look at the bold part... and you are the 'publisher'.

You *get* 65% if your book is between $2.99 and $9.99, i.e. 5% less than Amazon.  So Amazon is a better deal since they changed their rules (I believe after PubIt launched), but not by much.
-wraith808 (January 03, 2011, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Are you sure?

If I write a book, I'm the author. I then take it to a publisher for publication. Seems like they're eating a lot there.

And for a more expensive book you get paid less? Huh?

Are they saying that this is "self-publication"?

Here's my book:

Part 1: $9.99
Part 2: $9.99
Part 3: $9.99

Who would ever publish a $30 book?

Seems a bit corky to me.

wraith808:
I'm sure.  When I signed up, I was listed as the Publisher, and they wanted a publisher name.  So the book would show up as published by X, written by Y, with Y being my name, and X being the name assigned as the publisher.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version