ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: Ethervane Radio 0.2.4

<< < (12/18) > >>

bob99:

No problem.  I'll get the latest.
I knew it would be fixed... just not this fast :Thmbsup:
Looking forward to your other additions to ER as it evolves.

PhilB66:
Thanks for the quick fix. Works fine on XP SP3.  :Thmbsup:

belight:
Thanks - I love it.

bob99:

Tranglos

It is working on my XP sp2.  Meaning no shutdowns using the random selection.  But the CJFH test still isn't even after the config change to False.  I have to head out but will try again this evening to make sure I did everything correctly and let you know what is happening (or not happening).  Some stations not playing isn't a problem for me, there are still plenty of good ones to listen to.  I know this is still a work in progress.

Thanks again for the great N.A.N.Y. program/entry!

tranglos:
But the CJFH test still isn't even after the config change to False.-bob99 (January 12, 2011, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is to be expected. The server is really configured in an abnormal manner. Only browsers can handle such unusual cases, because a lot of programmer time is devoted to making sure every last website can be displayed, no matter how badly designed.

At least with ER handling playlists by itself, rather than handing them all off to the BASS library, I can tweak the code so that more stations can play successfully. In some cases the station is simply gone, but there are probably many other stations like CJFH - they exist, but require much "special attention" to handle.

Side note: I had no idea how many badly configured sites exist. You'd think website owners, radio stations in particular, would go out of their way to make it easy for people to reach them. But that would be too rational for human beings to be :) In the early days of the web, where html documents were nearly all hand-crafted, syntax errors in html were the norm, things like mismatched tags, etc. Today most output is computer-generated, so it takes only one small effort to get things right, but still there are monsters out there.

I was writing a parser for ASX playlists, which seems to be the most common format in use today (more common than m3u and pls put together). It's a very simple XML format. There were originally about 5400 asx playlists in the database, and of those, over 1100 (about 20%) were invalid XML. Tags were unmatched, tag case was all over the place (XML tags are case sensitive, so that <FOO> </foo> is not valid), and sometimes the playlist had the asx extension, but in fact was m3u or some other format. That meant I could not be using a regular XML parser for these files, and instead had to spend a few days writing code to handle all those misshapen formats. It was an interesting experience!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version