topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 4:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android virus in the wild  (Read 2388 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Android virus in the wild
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:45 PM »

The Threat:
A new Trojan affecting Android devices has recently emerged in China. Dubbed “Geinimi” based on its first known incarnation, this Trojan can compromise a significant amount of personal data on a user’s phone and send it to remote servers. The most sophisticated Android malware we’ve seen to date, Geinimi is also the first Android malware in the wild that displays botnet-like capabilities. Once the malware is installed on a user’s phone, it has the potential to receive commands from a remote server that allow the owner of that server to control the phone.

Geinimi is effectively being “grafted” onto repackaged versions of legitimate applications, primarily games, and distributed in third-party Chinese Android app markets. The affected applications request extensive permissions over and above the set that is requested by their legitimate original versions. Though the intent of this Trojan  isn’t entirely clear, the possibilities for intent range from a malicious ad-network to an attempt to create an Android botnet.

Lookout has already delivered an update for its Android users to protect them against known instances of the Trojan. If you are already a Lookout user (free or premium), you are protected and no action is needed.

Source

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android virus in the wild
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:54 PM »
I missed this during the holidays. Thanks for letting us know about this. :Thmbsup:

I don't use any third-party Chinese Android app markets, so I guess I'm safe.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android virus in the wild
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:13 AM »
I suppose these sorts of things are inevitable. It's unfortunate nonetheless.

I wonder has the Malware managed to subvert the permissions screen or do you know when you're installing the application just how much access it's being given?