ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are You Ready to Switch to GNU/Linux?

<< < (20/24) > >>

Edvard:
I can  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Deozaan:
I can  :mad: :mad: :mad:
-Edvard (January 09, 2011, 10:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I still don't understand the whole "free as in beer" thing. Beer is free?

They need to just say something like "free as in price" to clarify what they mean. Beer doesn't bring either definition of "free" to my mind.

Then again, beer frees you from your money and your inhibitions, so in a way I guess it could be talking about price or freedom (or both).

Renegade:
I can  :mad: :mad: :mad:
-Edvard (January 09, 2011, 10:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I still don't understand the whole "free as in beer" thing. Beer is free?

They need to just say something like "free as in price" to clarify what they mean. Beer doesn't bring either definition of "free" to my mind.

Then again, beer frees you from your money and your inhibitions, so in a way I guess it could be talking about price or freedom (or both).
-Deozaan (January 09, 2011, 10:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

The whole "free beer" thing only confuses stuff. I don't know how that got started in the confused sense. The original is "Free as in free speech, and not free as in free beer".

Deozaan:
The original is "Free as in free speech, and not free as in free beer".-Renegade (January 09, 2011, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Even that's not simple enough for the masses. My brother and I once ran a somewhat popular website and when ads weren't providing enough income to cover the site we started to offer paid membership plans. We got a few e-mails complaining about it, one person even said something to the effect of "Why should I have to pay, it's a free country!"

So my point is that even using the word in a context that would imply the correct definition can still confuse people. That's why I strongly recommend something like "Free as in freedom as opposed to free as in price."

EDIT: clarified a sentence that didn't sound right after re-reading it.

Renegade:
The original is "Free as in free speech, and not free as in free beer".-Renegade (January 09, 2011, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Even that's not simple enough for the masses. My brother and I once ran a somewhat popular website and when ads weren't providing enough income to cover the site we started to offer paid membership plans. We got a few e-mails complaining about it, one person even said something to the effect of "Why should I have to pay, it's a free country!"

So my point is that even using the word in a context that would imply the correct definition people still confuse it. That's why I strongly recommend something like "Free as in freedom as opposed to free as in price."
-Deozaan (January 10, 2011, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is MUCH clearer. I only meant to quote the origin, which is the source of the confusion.  :huh:  :o

I like the "free country" bit. That's just funny that someone really is that stupid. Perhaps a distant cousin of Mrs. Malaprop. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version