ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are You Ready to Switch to GNU/Linux?

<< < (18/24) > >>

zridling:
Don't underestimate the value of social coding, which not only allows people to reuse a bunch of code out there, but provided the [GNU] tools for Linux to be built, and then for it to be refined and quickly upgraded to version 1.0. Before the decade was over (the 1990s, that is), many Fortune 500 companies saw the advantage of the Linux kernel and put their coders to work, customizing versions to their respective industries. As Edvard repeatedly hammers: don't shut doors based on old or second-hand misinformation about Linux. Immersion is the trick. Only when I stopped dual-booting and playing back and forth between my old Windows computer and the Linux system years ago did things finally start clicking.
________
Finally, candy. Found this neat cross-platform word processor called FocusWriter. It hides its UI, has themes, live stats and word count, and even document tabs. Simple and free, and in the spirit of Donationcoder, the author has a donation link right on the page. Nice!!

40hz:
Re:Focus Writer

Prerty cool! I currently use WriteMonkey, which does much the same thing. But it's a Windows only app. Nice to see something that straddles multiple op systems.

Note: I'll likely switch over to the blank screen editor found in Liquid Story Binder "real soon now."  It's not that I have a problem with WriteMonkey. (I actually prefer it to LSB's version!)  But since I'm spending so much time in LSB, it's just easier to keep everything inside the one app so to speak.

My big goal for this year is to distill my work environment down to it's absolute essence. I feel I'm using far too many software tools to get my work done lately. (But I'd suspect that's  a fairly common 'occupational hazard' for folks like us.)

:-* Simplify, simplify, simplify... :-*

(Man, I really must be getting old if I'm talking like that...  ;D)

zridling:
My big goal for this year is to distill my work environment down to it's absolute essence. I feel I'm using far too many software tools to get my work done lately. (But I'd suspect that's  a fairly common 'occupational hazard' for folks like us.)
 :-* Simplify, simplify, simplify... :-*   (Man, I really must be getting old if I'm talking like that...  ;D) -40hz (January 05, 2011, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yea, but it's still an honorable goal, much like clearing the clutter out of your house or apartment. Been playing around with Nepomuk within Linux/KDE and REALLY like it, but don't use it enough to keep on the system. And I truly like Kate text editor, but again, Kwrite fills the need 95% of the time. Not having as much to administer leaves more time for content consumption.

mahesh2k:
@ mahesh2k:
Fair points; I think you've made your case a bit better this time around.
That first reply was a bit snarky, in my opinion, and sounded more like a backhand than answers.
--- End quote ---
It wasn't snarky IMO edward, but more answer to the way that list was formed. Lists are usually over-generalized no matter who do it (windows or linux fan boys).I'm not religious(in any way actually) when it comes to programming language or OS, like i said we care for bringing food on table and solving problems for customers. I do understand that i should get into linux coding during early phases but due to economy in this part of the world, it's hard to afford it and people here hardly pay for software so if this approach remains then there is no other option than cloud or subscription model. GNU/FSF people are actually shutting down all the financial models of software business (refer to how thesis theme owner got slammed by wordpress foundation because he charged for free software), these things in turn give linux or any other usable software a bad name when such lists come into blogs.

@rssapphire,Therefore, I don't think it is any more rude for a consumer to ask for free than it is for a producer to raise prices.
--- End quote ---
Asking for free price to any product is no different than piracy. GNU/FSF model just forces paid developers to put their hard work for free and pirates steal it and release it for free. 'Stealing' is the only action that separates pirates and GNU/FSF people, at the end result is same, developers get slammed because of dropping their price of product to 0.

rssapphire:
Asking for free price to any product is no different than piracy. GNU/FSF model just forces paid developers to put their hard work for free and pirates steal it and release it for free. 'Stealing' is the only action that separates pirates and GNU/FSF people, at the end result is same, developers get slammed because of dropping their price of product to 0.
-mahesh2k (January 06, 2011, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's still the duty of consumers in a free market to push the prices as low as possible (which means as close to free as they can get them). That's not stealing, that's the way a free market is supposed to work.  If consumers aren't pressing for the lowest price they can get, the market is broken in favor of producers.

And free is a price. Producers are under no obligation to make a profit, they have just as much right to give their property away as they do to charge for it -- it is their property after all. That's the whole point of owning property -- to be able to do with it as you want not do with it what others want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version