ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are You Ready to Switch to GNU/Linux?

<< < (17/24) > >>

JavaJones:
With Qt it's my understanding that you can just link to the Qt DLL libraries and, as long as you contribute any Qt modifications back, then your application itself doesn't need to be OS/GPL. I'm actually looking into this pretty seriously as an app I'm involved with may be ported within the next year, so I hope this is the case. :D

- Oshyan

Renegade:
With Qt it's my understanding that you can just link to the Qt DLL libraries and, as long as you contribute any Qt modifications back, then your application itself doesn't need to be OS/GPL. I'm actually looking into this pretty seriously as an app I'm involved with may be ported within the next year, so I hope this is the case. :D

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 03, 2011, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're both correct. There are 3 options:

http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing

Commercial   License fee charged
   LGPL   No license fee
   GPL   No license fee
--- End quote ---

http://qt.nokia.com/products/pricing

$3,695 for 1 OS license. OUCH~!

Edvard:
@ mahesh2k:
Fair points; I think you've made your case a bit better this time around.
That first reply was a bit snarky, in my opinion, and sounded more like a backhand than answers.

I'm in full agreement that it is, at the very least, rude to ask a commercial developer (small or large) to release their hard-fought work for free.
You have every right to charge what you think is a fair price for your work, and anybody who has issue with that is not worth your time.
Good point also about the rise of subscription/service model of modern software.
So much stuff is moving to "the cloud" that subscription appears to be the ONLY way to profit, sadly.

[edit: cut out yet another long-winded answer]

Once again, I fully support you in your efforts and I hope you do well.
Developing for Windows has obviously provided for you and I'm sure will continue to in the future.
Just PLEASE don't offhandedly dismiss Linux as a potential market.
If it is at all possible, jump in now while there is still time or you WILL be surpassed by those who will.
It has happened to me personally (in a different industry), and I regret it.

rssapphire:
I'm in full agreement that it is, at the very least, rude to ask a commercial developer (small or large) to release their hard-fought work for free.
-Edvard (January 03, 2011, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree on general free market principles. In a working free market it is the job of producers to maximize their profits and it's the job of consumers to get the best product for their needs at the lowest possible price. Only when both producers and consumers do their respective jobs well does a free market economy truly work. And since the lowest possible price is free there's really nothing wrong with consumers asking for it -- as asking for free is often a good way to drive prices down. The goal of free can seldom be reached, of course, but consumers should be trying just as hard to push the price toward free as the producers are trying to maximize their profits. Therefore, I don't think it is any more rude for a consumer to ask for free than it is for a producer to raise prices.

Renegade:
-Edvard (January 03, 2011, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree on general free market principles. In a working free market it is the job of producers to maximize their profits and it's the job of consumers to get the best product for their needs at the lowest possible price. Only when both producers and consumers do their respective jobs well does a free market economy truly work. And since the lowest possible price is free there's really nothing wrong with consumers asking for it -- as asking for free is often a good way to drive prices down. The goal of free can seldom be reached, of course, but consumers should be trying just as hard to push the price toward free as the producers are trying to maximize their profits. Therefore, I don't think it is any more rude for a consumer to ask for free than it is for a producer to raise prices.
-rssapphire (January 04, 2011, 09:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Free does not fit into the free market. Since free is zero (0), it isn't a real part of the market because there's no commerce there.

Mathematically it wont work. Start throwing zero into equations and eventually you'll end up with a div by zero error. :P

But seriously -- that's the problem -- you will get a div by zero error, at which place everything falls to pieces. 

Then again, there is a "workaround" or hack for consumers to get things for free... It's called robbery or theft. And you don't get a div by zero error. :)

Asking for software for free is no different than asking for a free meal at a restaurant, or free groceries at the supermarket, or free gas at the pump.

The number system does not include zero. Zero causes errors. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version