ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are You Ready to Switch to GNU/Linux?

<< < (5/24) > >>

Tuxman:
Did you mean, 'Yep, so "Linux" is the wrong term'?

And did you mean, 'Tell me one major GNU/Linux distribution with a "non-free" repository or blobs in the kernel'?-Renegade (December 30, 2010, 10:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Debian. It has both.

So "GNU/Linux" I S plain wrong. "Linux" is the right term here.

Renegade:
Did you mean, 'Yep, so "Linux" is the wrong term'?

And did you mean, 'Tell me one major GNU/Linux distribution with a "non-free" repository or blobs in the kernel'?-Renegade (December 30, 2010, 10:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Debian. It has both.

So "GNU/Linux" I S plain wrong. "Linux" is the right term here.
-Tuxman (December 30, 2010, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not familiar with what you're referring to.

I find that odd though as the GPL is very clear in being a viral license, so I don't see how it can't be free without violating the GPL.

TucknDar:
The final factor which stopped me doing a perma-move to linux was the lack of people willing to help.  Looking on forums to see thousands of "RTFM n00b" and "wtf...stupid question...gtfo my forum" kinda put me off.  Makes you wonder if theres a forum, like DC, but for Linux......-Stephen66515 (December 30, 2010, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've "pushed" this forum before, but I'll do it again...: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/ I find it to be a very friendly linux centered forum. Obviously mostly concerned with all things CrunchBang Linux, but all kinds of general Linux stuff (and other things) are discussed as well, and in a nice, friendly tone. Can't say I'm "ready" to switch to Linux, but I find CrunchBang ideal for my netbook, and I'm considering installing Qimo ("a desktop operating system designed for kids") on my old laptop for my daughter to use.

Bamse:
Linux world do have a communication problem. Seems to me 90% of for example Ubuntu users don't know more than most can pick up in a day or 2. Last 10% do know a lot (can be blank about Windows though) but have trouble delivering info. Becomes too much hunting wikis, read and carefully apply "code" stuff. There also seem to be an acceptance of stuff crashing in a very bad way if you experiment. I can run a Windows installation for years with heavy tweaking and what not. Linux? I don't think so. Probably has to do with what paranoid System control with privileges, sudo fun, spoon fed/idiot proof repositories. You can install a shortcut like Ubuntu Tweaker, you can modify all you like but you are on your own and you are not supposed to! When used to Windows Linux tinkering will of course seem odd but I don't think that many distros are prepared for it. Step up to being able to joggle with Linux is huge I think. If you asked those in charge of Ubuntu I bet their core target group is just grandmas and the average hopeless Windows users. Possible trick is to forget about the more popular distros and look at alternatives, can start with the top 25 ;)

Another complaint. The suggestion that Linux repositories has so much more useful software than is available for Windows is BS :) Yes there is a lot and some distros have nice GUI where you can pick and chose, see ratings even, but there is a long way to go to beat Windows apps. And again a feature I think would sell better if "they" acknowledged the obvious fact and instead promoted Wine, Virtualbox etc. as solutions to stuff not yet available or not yet as good. The more reasonable Linux fanatics have no problems with Windows or not so much they have a need to mirror them self in the beast all the time. Online apps might make these concerns redundant to some degree but because a Linux app has same functionality as a Windows ditto does not mean it works as good.

f0dder:
6. You Like Speed
--- End quote ---
-Renegade (December 30, 2010, 12:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Shouldn't you be in rehab, then, rather than getting all buzzed up and energetic about installing linux?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version