ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are You Ready to Switch to GNU/Linux?

<< < (4/24) > >>

Tuxman:
To be absolutely clear, the reasons/motivations behind GNU/Linux are entirely political/philosophical, and NOT financial. -Renegade (December 30, 2010, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, so "GNU/Linux" is the wrong term. Tell me one major GNU/Linux distribution without a "non-free" repository or blobs in the kernel.

Renegade:
To be absolutely clear, the reasons/motivations behind GNU/Linux are entirely political/philosophical, and NOT financial. -Renegade (December 30, 2010, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, so "GNU/Linux" is the wrong term. Tell me one major GNU/Linux distribution without a "non-free" repository or blobs in the kernel.
-Tuxman (December 30, 2010, 10:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you mean, 'Yep, so "Linux" is the wrong term'?

And did you mean, 'Tell me one major GNU/Linux distribution with a "non-free" repository or blobs in the kernel'?

I think you're pointing out a core problem between the GPL and commercial software (the commercial software business model). Because the GPL forces source to be opened, it makes having commercial versions very difficult. The only way organizations can differentiate there is with brand value and support services (the route Red Hat went).

Brand is simply too difficult to base a business on for small companies that are not established. Nike can do it, but they're large and have been around for a long time.

Support is a more realistic route, however, it's still a difficult model. IBM has shifted a lot of their business to consulting, which is similar. But again, they have a lot of products, are very large, and really know what they're doing, which makes it more realistic for them as they have the brand value there to sell their consulting services for them.

KynloStephen66515:
Daily? Shoot, I can update once in *buntu and check again 3 hours later and have more. And I've seen a total of 80 patches appear 24 hours later after "fully patching" a system one day prior.
-Josh (December 30, 2010, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

In *buntu, spoon bend you

The final factor which stopped me doing a perma-move to linux was the lack of people willing to help.  Looking on forums to see thousands of "RTFM n00b" and "wtf...stupid question...gtfo my forum" kinda put me off.  I know this happens with Winblows as well, but at least there are a few that you can find decent info on (like here); Makes you wonder if theres a forum, like DC, but for Linux...... Unlikely...anyway, the same reason goes for Mac...my main reason for not using them, is the insane pricing they have, and the fact theres a new one brought out every 16 seconds, which means, if you bought one when you started reading this, chances are, your 18 versions behind when your gonna get to the end.  That, and the fact that, I think most mac users are WAY to "up themselves" to ever ask for help on a forum, so finding good, usefull information, that is up to date, and actually works, is going to be a bigger task than saving £1200 to give to Apple.

Linux, IS, a viable option for a whole lot of people, even ones who don't even know about it, or say "nah, its not for me", but if your anything like me, then you can simply install VMWare, load a linux distro, play with it, use any software that doesnt come on winblows, and then when your done, close VMWare, and load windows back up to play those games that would require 6 hours of coding drivers for your linux distro, so they work.

Renegade:
That, and the fact that, I think most mac users are WAY to "up themselves" to ever ask for help on a forum, so finding good, usefull information, that is up to date, and actually works, is going to be a bigger task than saving £1200 to give to Apple.
-Stephen66515 (December 30, 2010, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've found that when looking for problem solving information for my iMac, most of the stuff doesn't work or is way out of date. Apple has a bad habit of changing everything and letting people find out on their own. They quite frankly don't care about backwards compatibility. Microsoft is the opposite there -- they almost care too much about backward compatibility.

KynloStephen66515:
That, and the fact that, I think most mac users are WAY to "up themselves" to ever ask for help on a forum, so finding good, usefull information, that is up to date, and actually works, is going to be a bigger task than saving £1200 to give to Apple.
-Stephen66515 (December 30, 2010, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Microsoft is the opposite there -- they almost care too much about backward compatibility.
-Renegade (December 30, 2010, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thats the sad but true fact, M$ seem to focus more on keeping old stuff working (down to like Win95) rather than focusing on creating greatness

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version