ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are You Ready to Switch to GNU/Linux?

<< < (2/24) > >>

Renegade:
Am I ready to switch to Linux? No.

Is Linux ready for me? No...
-app103 (December 30, 2010, 02:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahaha~! Good answer~! :D

40hz:

Priceless!  ;D :Thmbsup:

Bamse:
I blame whole Linux pimping community for me not using Linux. I sense BS posts/reviews/"opinions" are decreasing though, probably due to Windows 7. Ok to focus on Microsoft evil doings of course but these arguments are of low quality. Those who can't see where they come from cannot handle Linux in any shape or form. Takes a bit more than getting rid of Windows annoyances. Truth could be such communication is not meant to sell tickets to Windows users but to help confirming those who struggle have made the right choice. I have problems with that attitude but no way to avoid it because not possible to explore Linux world on my own - knowledge of weird details and workarounds required when you want to tinker and modify Linux. Might be ok out of the box for grandmas and sysadmins who just want things to work :P

Renegade:
I blame whole Linux pimping community for me not using Linux. I sense BS posts/reviews/"opinions" are decreasing though, probably due to Windows 7. Ok to focus on Microsoft evil doings of course but these arguments are of low quality. Those who can't see where they come from cannot handle Linux in any shape or form. Takes a bit more than getting rid of Windows annoyances. Truth could be such communication is not meant to sell tickets to Windows users but to help confirming those who struggle have made the right choice. I have problems with that attitude but no way to avoid it because not possible to explore Linux world on my own - knowledge of weird details and workarounds required when you want to tinker and modify Linux. Might be ok out of the box for grandmas and sysadmins who just want things to work :P

-Bamse (December 30, 2010, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... I know how you feel. The jeering crowd of smart-mouthed ones really ruins things.

But it's actually easier than you'd think. Try out a VMware image. Here's a link for Ubuntu 10.10. You'll find MANY more there as well.

Just install the VMware player, then download that image and "play" it.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at it.

If the "Ubuntu" screamers tick you off, try SuSe here (VMware image link).

It's really worth taking the time to play with as there is some VERY cool stuff in there. It's also very quick as it's little different than running a program.

Tuxman:
The title is misleading. All the items listed have nothing to do with GNU.  :)

BTW:
Of course Linux has bars similar to Windows. Or, in case of Ubuntu, OSX. Anyway, the whole thread leads into the wrong direction. Why switch when Windows fits my needs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version