ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are You Ready to Switch to GNU/Linux?

(1/24) > >>

Renegade:
Saw an article:

How You Know When It’s Time to Switch to Linux

If you're considering giving Windows the boot here are 10 signs the time is right to give Linux a try.
--- End quote ---

Source

And thought I'd post it before Zane. :D

Just kidding.

But the stuff in the article is more candy-floss BS.

1. You’re Tired of Paying for Software
2. You’re Tired of Upgrading Hardware
3. You’re Tired of Malware
4. You’ve Seen One Too Many Patch Tuesdays
5. You Don’t Have the Time
6. You Like Speed
7. You Like Sharing
8. You Don’t Actually Love Internet Explorer
9. You Want to Be in Control
10. You’re One of a Kind
--- End quote ---

Sigh...

So, the rant is here. :D

Well, not really a rant. Or not much of one.

The long & short of it: I hate dumb lists by bored tech writers. The presumptuous question is "are you ready", along with some questions to ask.

Now, for a non-idiotic approach to the question…

ARE YOU READY TO SWITCH TO GNU/LINUX?

This is crucially important. But you can answer this question with a little thought and reflection.

First, take inventory of the different tasks that you do and the programs that you use to do it. Next, look for replacements for them that run on GNU/Linux. Next, and this is the hard part, verify that the replacements work for your purposes. An example will help…
--- End quote ---

Pretty much the only REASON to switch seems to be "freedom". I can't think of another legitimate reason that isn't blatantly controversial.

sri:
The last time I genuinely wanted to try Linux, I remember having to write 3 lines of code to eject a CD from the tray or something. I thought that was pointless.

Windows 7 rocks! I am not sure if there are tools (that are as good) similar to Breevy, windroplr, Directory Opus, ClipX, StrokeIt, Direct Folders that make me productive (i.e., work faster and smarter) in Linux.

Renegade:
The last time I genuinely wanted to try Linux, I remember having to write 3 lines of code to eject a CD from the tray or something. I thought that was pointless.

Windows 7 rocks! I am not sure if there are tools (that are as good) similar to Breevy, windroplr, Directory Opus, ClipX, StrokeIt, Direct Folders that make me productive (i.e., work faster and smarter) in Linux.
-sri (December 30, 2010, 12:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... Better than the last time I had to eject a DVD on my Mac. Ended up taking it in for repair... Only had about 20 or 30 disks in it too. :(

Agreed on Windows 7 -- it's really very nice.

Try out a VMware Linux distro though. It's a great way to play with Linux. VMware has lots available.

app103:
Am I ready to switch to Linux? No.

Is Linux ready for me? No...it doesn't have a taskbar that behaves similar to the one in Windows, and until it does, it's not ready for full time use by me.  ;)

1. You’re Tired of Paying for Software
--- End quote ---
I buy very little software. Most of what I use is freeware.

2. You’re Tired of Upgrading Hardware
--- End quote ---
You will still eventually have to upgrade hardware, no matter what OS you run.

3. You’re Tired of Malware
--- End quote ---
What's that? I never get any.  :D

4. You’ve Seen One Too Many Patch Tuesdays
--- End quote ---
Actually, I have seen one too many "reboot just to make sure Ubuntu is up to date, update it, then reboot back to Windows".

5. You Don’t Have the Time
--- End quote ---
Time for what? Oh yeah...see my answers to #4 and #6.  ;)

6. You Like Speed
--- End quote ---
Ubuntu is actually slower than Windows for me. Slower to startup, slower to find the shortcuts to the apps I want to run, slower to start the apps, slower to close them, slower to find valid info on how to do something I want to do, slower to shut down, slower to download and install updates, slower, slower, slower.

7. You Like Sharing
--- End quote ---
Sharing what, exactly? I can't think of anything I'd want to share that could be shared better, faster, or easier on Linux.

8. You Don’t Actually Love Internet Explorer
--- End quote ---
I don't, and that's why I can install plenty of other browsers and pick the one I like best. I currently have 10 different browsers installed and except for Firefox, none of them have Linux versions, to my knowledge.

--- End quote ---
I am in control.

10. You’re One of a Kind
--- End quote ---
And so is my Windows desktop.  :D

sri:
I am in control.

10. You’re One of a Kind
And so is my Windows desktop.  cheesy
--- End quote ---