ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are You Ready to Switch to GNU/Linux?

<< < (6/24) > >>

zridling:
The cloud and social sites have taken the bite out of so many traditional OS arguments. Except it depends on how you interact with your computer. For programming, Linux kicks ass, unless you're just going to stick with Windows programming. If you're needing any OS to get you online, then any of the big three will do. If you're a professional video editor or photographer needed Photoshop, you'll want Windows. If you've got money to burn every six months, buy Apple! And so on. Sounds like a lot of folks in this thread haven't actually used Linux recently for more than a day or so, decided it wasn't like Win7, and promptly hit the dump key. I contend that learning a new OS is like taking on a new job, or in some sense moving to a different country: it takes a while to get accustomed to its ways. Flying into Paris and asking everyone "Do you speak English?" is being an ugly American. Once you immerse yourself, Linux is stupid-easy. Even easier if you pick a distro and stick with it. Oh well, here's my response, and thanks Renegade, for posting this.

1. You’re Tired of Paying for Software
I just couldn't afford to any longer.

2. You’re Tired of Upgrading Hardware
I just couldn't afford to any longer.

3. You’re Tired of Malware
Oh yeah. I laugh everytime I read about AV software.

4. You’ve Seen One Too Many Patch Tuesdays
Nah, updating often is a good thing Microsoft does.

5. You Don’t Have the Time
No, I've had the time, just not the patience.

6. You Like Speed
Oh hell yea, especially on older/2nd gen machines. Doubling the life cycle of my hardware is sweet.

7. You Like Sharing
In what sense? As long as your software uses open file formats, we can share. Otherwise, I could care less because I'm not paying for Microsoft Office, period. If you have to use Powerpoint (the example the author uses), don't. No one I know uses Powerpoint unless they want to put a crowd to sleep.

8. You Don’t Actually Love Internet Explorer
Just one in the crowd these days.

9. You Want to Be in Control
I want to be DRM-free and open source as much as possible.

10. You’re One of a Kind
No, not at all. My computer works and looks a lot like your Win7 computer. Only mine is far easier to customize, upgrade, update, try new software, copy the OS to share with others, install as many times as I want on as many machines as I want, all at zero cost. With openSUSE, I've had no hassles whatsoever, and it trades files back and forth seamlessly among discs, USB sticks, and networked Windows computers in the house.

cranioscopical:
Hmmm... Better than the last time I had to eject a DVD on my Mac. Ended up taking it in for repair... Only had about 20 or 30 disks in it too. :(
-Renegade (December 30, 2010, 12:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
That might have been your problem; I think they're meant to accomodate only one.

Renegade:
Hmmm... Better than the last time I had to eject a DVD on my Mac. Ended up taking it in for repair... Only had about 20 or 30 disks in it too. :(
-Renegade (December 30, 2010, 12:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
That might have been your problem; I think they're meant to accomodate only one.
-cranioscopical (December 31, 2010, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

But there were really really really small DVDs...

Tuxman:
I'm not familiar with what you're referring to. -Renegade (December 30, 2010, 11:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Debian's apt repositories have a "non-free" trunk. In Debian's kernel are some binary blobs for common drivers. Both are incompatible with the term "GNU/Linux".

f0dder:
I'm not familiar with what you're referring to. -Renegade (December 30, 2010, 11:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Debian's apt repositories have a "non-free" trunk. In Debian's kernel are some binary blobs for common drivers. Both are incompatible with the term "GNU/Linux".-Tuxman (December 31, 2010, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
...and an attitude like that is why linux isn't taking off for the majority of normal people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version