ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

So, when you're working, do you...

(1/6) > >>

timns:
I just read a comment by Renegade saying he likes a bit of TV or movie to keep him company while he works.

Personally, I would find that wayyyy too distracting.

So my question to the forum would be: what sort of environment do you find most productive?

Personally, I very much like to have music on while I'm working - even quite loud in fact. But any sort of spoken word completely collapses my concentration, so no radio, just my mp3 collection.

I also like to have a couple of lamps switched on on my desk, with the rest of the room dim. But I am lucky to have a nice view, so I do take a screen break every now and then, to stare at the bay.

When I get home I'll post a picture of my setup since I think it would be interesting to compare how we all arrange ourselves. I might get some good ideas  :Thmbsup:

nudone:
i find that i can only listen to music if working on tasks that i'm familiar with.

anything requiring real concentration, i.e. problem solving, and i can't listen to anything - sometimes i need ear plugs to cut out the slightest sound.

Renegade:
I should probably clarify a bit there.

I put on movies and TV shows that I've already seen while I'm working. They're not new DVDs or anything. I've already seen them, and in many cases, more than once.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer S06E07 is a favorite as it's a musical, and probably one of the best TV shows of all time.

For music, I can't handle it on speaker. Too distracting. I put loud music on speaker for cleaning the house. For working, I need headphones.

Trance music or dance music or rave or whatever -- is usually best for me to work -- the consistency of dance music along with the (often) lack of lyrics lets me get "in the zone". Though other kinds of music are good except for rap -- rap I find distracting and only good for mindless tasks.

I think the type of music/video is important.

When I do audio software, it's obviously nothing except headphones and the software I'm working on.

But I'm curious to find out what other people's habits are.

cranioscopical:
i find that i can only listen to music if working on tasks that i'm familiar with.

anything requiring real concentration, i.e. problem solving, and i can't listen to anything - sometimes i need ear plugs to cut out the slightest sound.
-nudone (December 29, 2010, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's pretty much the same for me (has to be classical music when I'm working). The tougher the going, the quieter it must be. Random noises (dog barking, phones going etc.) don't count as they're filtered out automatically.

I prefer where I'm working to be well lit, probably because I need recourse to a fair amount of hard-copy reference material.

One dominant personal preference is to avoid work like the plague.

timns:

One dominant personal preference is to avoid work like the plague.
-cranioscopical (December 29, 2010, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I avoid cliches like the plague

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version