ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Dreamy Monitor...

<< < (5/7) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
It sounds to me like enumerating the monitors is step 1. Next, keep the monitor with the mouse bright and dull the rest. Next (or in between), give the user a very small graphical UI that lets them "toggle" monitors brighter or darker permanently. It would be ideal in the taskbar notification area.
-Renegade (December 31, 2010, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

That would work... I also think having windows "remembered" by class / title / text options would be handy. I tend to not keep the same windows on the same monitors and adjust my working environment (which monitor is the read and which is the work).

... I must invest in a better chair....

Renegade:
It sounds to me like enumerating the monitors is step 1. Next, keep the monitor with the mouse bright and dull the rest. Next (or in between), give the user a very small graphical UI that lets them "toggle" monitors brighter or darker permanently. It would be ideal in the taskbar notification area.
-Renegade (December 31, 2010, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

That would work... I also think having windows "remembered" by class / title / text options would be handy. I tend to not keep the same windows on the same monitors and adjust my working environment (which monitor is the read and which is the work).

... I must invest in a better chair....
-Perry Mowbray (December 31, 2010, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I've found out how to adjust the brightness for ALL monitors... But that doesn't help too much... I'll keep looking into it, but it's going to be a tad hairy as I'm not really sure where I'm going on this one...

For chairs -- yeah --- definitely worth the investment. This one was only about $350 or $380, but it's good enough.

Your chair affects your entire being, and is really worth it to keep yourself comfortable. You can be much more productive that way. Same with shoes when you walk a lot. I'm a firm believer in spending on those things.

Perry Mowbray:
Well, I've found out how to adjust the brightness for ALL monitors... But that doesn't help too much... I'll keep looking into it, but it's going to be a tad hairy as I'm not really sure where I'm going on this one...
-Renegade (December 31, 2010, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

This one supports multiple monitors: http://quickgamma.de/indexen.html

nudone:
i think the "working" monitor brightness is going to require quite a bit of thought.

we could have "working" defined as, screen with:

1) active window

2) mouse cursor location

3) user set screen, i.e. a specific monitor is always the "working" screen.

4) keyboard shortcut temporarily defines "working" monitor.

5) probably other methods too

I gave up on wanting brightness levels to be triggered by an event as I realised that the "working" monitor would simply be the one I'm staring at, i.e. the computer has no idea what my eyeballs are doing.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great to still have some kind of quick toggle that changed secondary monitor brightness. I just don't think it would work as well as we all hope.

@Renegade, I think my office chair is an "okay" one. I got it free but I believe it was expensive (if that is an indication of ergonomic quality). I do have to slump a bit in any chair to feel comfortable - which means my eye to screen level is not quite orthadox. I've tried several positions and cushions and all that, I just try to be comfortable - it just means the top monitor is too high up and that's with quite a low desk.

Perry Mowbray:
I gave up on wanting brightness levels to be triggered by an event as I realised that the "working" monitor would simply be the one I'm staring at, i.e. the computer has no idea what my eyeballs are doing.
-nudone (December 31, 2010, 05:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

It'd be neat if you could use a webcam to do that  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version