ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Dreamy Monitor...

<< < (3/7) > >>

nudone:
(except for nodding off occasionally).
-cranioscopical (December 29, 2010, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

hahaha.

tomos:
my top monitor is similar; cheap, poor viewing angles. i've had to angle this top monitor at quite an extreme angle so it isn't annoying to view. if it were angled perfectly vertical then looking at it from below would make it appear quite dark with terrible contrast.

on the other hand my Ezio 24" monitor has the best viewing angles i've ever seen, but that cost over £1000 (over $1500). you could place this at any height or angle and it would look perfect. i'm sure such a monitor would cost less nowadays; it just demonstrates there is still a difference between the budget and high end screens.
-nudone (December 29, 2010, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

veering slightly off-topic: Dell have a very good & cheap series of IPS monitors (recommended by Prad.de here)
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/landing/de/emea/ultrasharpmonitor?c=de&l=de&s=gen

For some reason the 23" one is available for as little as 230 euro - seems a crazy price to me for an IPS panel.
I bought the matte 22" 2209WA exactly a year ago (for around e300) - it has almost perfect RGB out of the box. It's great for the price (lighting at the sides is slightly uneven but only noticeable it when screen is an even grey

(sorry, dont have any english links)

Renegade:
Just put the old monitor out on the balcony and setup the new Samsung BX2440. Looks good. Tilt, swivel and pivot. It'll do for what I need. :)

But couldn't get the old one working at all. Dead. The picture will dully flicker on for a half second then it goes black again. The color test "lost signal" rectangle looks faded as well. But the 15" TGIC Amadas from 2003 is still cranking out the pixels.

40hz:
These days I use 2 side-by-side 27" (1920 x 1200) monitors. That's a physical run of 4 feet by 16 inches.
That gives me somewhat over four US-letter-size pages, portrait, at actual size, which is important to me as I still work with physical documents
I can see all of what I want without any significant head movement (except for nodding off occasionally).
-cranioscopical (December 29, 2010, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds perfect to me too. What brand/model monitors are you using?

cranioscopical:
What brand/model monitors are you using?
-40hz (December 29, 2010, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

These are Samsung 275Tplus. It's increasingly hard to find monitors with 1200 vertical res these days — at least I find it so.

I've found Samsung, the company, totally unpleasant to deal with, incompetent, careless of their customers, and slipshod. I'd avoid them and their products if I could. Unfortunately, when I bought these, one of a pair of previous Samsung 1600x1200s had failed and they could produce only an unsatisfactory replacement under guarantee. Needless to say, that didn't match the remaining functional monitor. So, I needed a matched pair of reasonably large screens in a hurry and these were the best of what my local supplier could deliver the following day. (I gave the remaining monitor from the previous pair to my wife and she's happy with it, and it's still going strong.)

The downside with multiple screens is that when one of them fails it's often necessary to buy another set of screens because the current models don't match the previous ones. As you know, models change very fast and a screen more than a year old will probably be difficult to replace with an exact counterpart. I don't like working with mismatched screens.

The up side of equipment failure is that one can use it as an excuse to upgrade.

I'm quite pleased with these screens, precise colour matching isn't crucial to me, so I can afford to be less fussy than some. As I said previously, they provide quite a lot of real estate, almost all of which I can see at a glance.

<Edit for typo>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version