ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Run a security check on your Gmail account - if not already done

<< < (2/3) > >>

IainB:
@wraith808:
At the bottom of the page there's also: Alert preference: Show an alert for unusual activity.
Turn this on, and it will show an alert if there is unusual activity.

--- End quote ---
This seems to be forced on by default in my Gmail, and I cannot change it. I did come across an information link to a Google note that explains that if you try to disable it, it will not be activated for a delay period, for security reasons. I don't recall whether you get an auto email to ask for confirmation that you wanted it disabled. (Which would make sense.)

4wd:
This seems to be forced on by default in my Gmail, and I cannot change it. I did come across an information link to a Google note that explains that if you try to disable it, it will not be activated for a delay period, for security reasons. I don't recall whether you get an auto email to ask for confirmation that you wanted it disabled. (Which would make sense.)-IainB (December 28, 2010, 04:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't - I've had a couple of mine turned off for a while and I never received a confirmation prior to it taking effect.  I think they expect you to notice the next time you log in via browser - something I do very rarely.

eeerrr  :-[  Of course maybe it's different if you have a alternative email or SMS set up - neither of which I use.

Deozaan:
@Deozaan: Yes, thanks:
"...so they can't do anything before signing in again and by then you should have changed your password."
--- End quote ---
That was one of the points I was trying to make, but didn't do very well. I shall update my post to make this quite clear.
-IainB (December 28, 2010, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or maybe I just was lazy and didn't fully read your original post. I think it was me who erred, this time. I just skimmed your post since I already knew about this stuff and somehow missed you describing to do what I said to do. Sorry. :-[

Curt:
I don't understand why Google doesn't offer to auto mail any private email I may have, if my gmail account is visited by unknown ip addresses. It *sounds* to me as it would be easy to do.

kyrathaba:
Just checked mine.  All benign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version