ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is there a more efficient way to update ftp text files?

(1/2) > >>

superboyac:
This may sound like a stupid question...
Whenever I have to change the css style of my website, I start fiddling around with the text file, and updating the ftp to see how it looks online.  I do this a lot when I modify the stylesheet.  Is there a more automated way to keep doing this?  It's a pain right now, I'll explain my procedure:
1.) edit stylesheet file in text editor
2.) press Save
3.) drag-drop file in ftp folder
4.) confirm that Yes, I do want to overwrite the existing file
5.) go the website, click refresh
6.) repeat

how do you guys do it?  I know a lot of you do this for a living or just a lot in general, so I'm sure you have better ways for it.  I know programs like Ultraedit have built in ftp's, but not all text editors, and is there another way of doing it other than a built in ftp for the text editor?

timns:
WebDrive - sorry can't remember the URL from here.

JavaJones:
2 approaches I use frequently. Either A: use a text editor that includes built-in FTP functionality - this is the smoothest approach, but if your favorite text editor doesn't support this (for the love of god why not?), then it's not an option for you; or B: use an FTP program like Filezilla where you can open the file from the remote server, save changes locally, and it will detect and upload the changed files automatically.

- Oshyan

mwb1100:
You might want to check out Stylizer (http://www.skybound.ca/) which lets you work with and preview CSS changes in wysiwyg fashion (using browser engines integrated into the program), then saves them using FTP.

There's a mini-review thread here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=24805.0

superboyac:
Thanks guys.  All of those suggestions sound good, I'll try them all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version