ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB

<< < (17/41) > >>

bob99:
Is there a maximum number of characters limit per field?-bob99 (January 24, 2011, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, but only the first 260 characters are displayed in the listview though the entire field is saved.  There is no limit to the number of rows but, keep in mind, that saving and loading times will increase with larger listviews.  I have a test database of zip codes that is three columns and around 43,000 rows.  It takes around fourteen seconds to fully load on my computer.  Furthermore, there is a maximum of 200 columns allowed.  Does this answer your question?

-skwire (January 24, 2011, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure does.  I was doing some reading on some different sites regarding use of CSV files.  I came across a couple where people were having different problems based on the number of characters they were trying to work with.  All cases were where they were importing CSV files.  Some were working with 255 character text field lengths and others memo type field lengths which were much longer.  It was explained that some programs, while they will accept CSV imports, will limit the number of characters they will accept.  Usually the 1st 255 but some programs even smaller lengths.  Even though the imported CSV field could contain many more characters.

I doubt that I will ever have a field with even 255 characters, but if somehow I did, wondered what would happen.

TalksToPCs:
I have run into an issue.

I seem to have closed SnapDB with a filter applied the last time I used it.
Now, all I have left from my entries are the items that I had last filtered, which are about 5 out of 30 or so.

I cannot find a way to get my whole dataset back.
It isn't too dramatic and I certainly have a back-up somewhere.

Any suggestions?

TalksToPCs

skwire:
I have run into an issue.

I seem to have closed SnapDB with a filter applied the last time I used it.
Now, all I have left from my entries are the items that I had last filtered, which are about 5 out of 30 or so.

I cannot find a way to get my whole dataset back.
It isn't too dramatic and I certainly have a back-up somewhere.

Any suggestions?-TalksToPCs (January 26, 2011, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you have the "Keep a .bak backup file after saving enabled" option enabled?  If so, the .bak file will be the save before your current one.  If not, you will have to find your own backup.

Regarding this bug, it happens when you've made changes to your database (and don't save), enable the filter, search on something and then close Snap DB.  Snap DB will then ask if you if you want to save (since the database has been modified) ... most folks will click yes and Snap DB erroneously saves the filtered data.  I will fix this and please accept my apologies.

I actually have had a new build waiting in the wings for a while now...just waiting on the member server move to be completed.

TalksToPCs:
Did you have the "Keep a .bak backup file after saving enabled" option enabled?
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I did, but apparently i saved something else in the meanwhile.

Snap DB will then ask if you if you want to save (since the database has been modified) ... most folks will click yes and Snap DB erroneously saves the filtered data.
--- End quote ---
I dimly remember doing something like this. Well, the universe is winning again...

No biggie.
Anyway, thanks for the great support and and the app of course...

DeVamp:
For the CSV : sometimes programs export data to "CSV", but they use a ; instead of a ,-DeVamp (January 24, 2011, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Silly programs...that's not a CSV file then.  =]
-skwire (January 24, 2011, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

true, true.  :(

But I've just came across a program that exports to CVS seperated by ;
It was Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.

I've exported a bunch of invoices, and to preserve the amounts, it uses a ; as separator.
And I didn't found a setting to change the exportsettings in it. :'(

Even excel ha problems opening that CSV file. :-)

Perhaps you can provide a "default" separator, just a general application setting, and then it's up to us, the users, to change it according to the file we want to drop or open or import.

Just an idea. :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version