topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB  (Read 199837 times)

alexsan01

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Yes! This is exactly what I needed. Thank you for the quick response and the quick coding. Did you use Auto Hotkey to program this app? I like AutoIt Scripting, but if the AutoHotkey is capable of this type of software, then I'll start learning Auto Hotkey.

Thanks again.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Yes, all the software on my website is written in AutoHotkey.  Feel free to check the links in my signature to get an idea of what can be accomplished with AHK.

alexsan01

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 10:11 AM »
I just noticed one thing. I sent the exe along with a .snp to a coworker. By default, the software tried to open the last used database because the config.ini was present, and it showed the path of the database on the titlebar, but it was not able to open it because it was looking for it in a path that didn't exist on that machine. It might be a good idea to open the database inside the folder (if there is one) if the last one used it's not available. Or to let the user know that the app could not find the .snp file.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 10:16 AM »
For now, don't include the config.ini file when you send it to a friend.  Just the .snp and the SnapDB.exe file.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.5 - 2011-01-10
    * Made Snap DB's save routine more robust and fault-tolerant.  (Thanks, mouser)
    * You can now pass .snp files to the SnapDB.exe and it will load them.
    * Snap DB now allows multiple instances of the viewer to run.
    ! If the Last_File value is invalid, SnapDB will still automatically load the
      first .snp file found in the the SnapDB.exe folder.  (Thanks alexsan01)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 06:26 PM »
nice  :Thmbsup:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 11:42 PM »
For now, don't include the config.ini file when you send it to a friend.  Just the .snp and the SnapDB.exe file.

Would a "Send to" command work in this instance?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 11:46 PM »
one thing i wanted to add -- because snapdb uses .dcupdate files for update checking -- advanced users could actually make your own custom package of snapdb and your database, and modify the .dcupdate file so that your friends check YOUR website for an updated snapdb and datafile combo.

good for if you want to distribute a custom data set and viewer with update support.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 07:28 AM »
Found a bit of a bugg and a request (both related).

While the auto open of db is nice, it's also a tad hard to defeat. I was trying to do a quick test with some of my .csv files, but had created a test.snp to play with. It kept opening. I renamed the file to test.snpk and it still opened the file (extension wasn't wrong enough?). However test.snk did successfully not open so I could try to do other thinks with it.

So, is that a bugg...or am I doing it wrong?

On the request side, does a close current file/db sound reasonable?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 09:08 AM »
It will only auto-open a file if it's in the same folder as the SnapDB.exe.  Personally, I create a \databases folder and put my .snp files in there.

Sure, can do, but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve?

Nikita

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 02:39 PM »
It would be great if it were possible to change the font size. Now it is very small (at least to my eyes).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Already working on it.   :D  Colours, too.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.6 - 2011-01-11
    + The listview font face, style and color are now configurable under the View >
      Options dialog.
    + Made the "Load last database" feature an option under View > Options.
    + Option to keep a .bak backup after saving a database.  (Thanks, mouser)

I also changed up the toolbar glyphs.  What do you all think?  Do you like these better or the original ones?

New
2011-01-11_183032.pngNANY 2011 Release: Snap DB
Old
2010-12-26_213046.pngNANY 2011 Release: Snap DB

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 06:37 PM »
do the toolbars have the tips on the mouseover?  if so, I think that I can make that work.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Sorry, I was being lazy.  Yes, the tips do showup when you mouserover the icons.  haven't tried the new version yet.

Nikita

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 08:17 PM »
    + The listview font face, style and color are now configurable under the View >
      Options dialog.
    + Made the "Load last database" feature an option under View > Options.
    + Option to keep a .bak backup after saving a database.  (Thanks, mouser)

Wow! You are quick like an electric broom. Or perhaps even quicker... :) I'm impressed! That's great! :up: Thanks a lot! Your app will definitely find a place in my garage...

I also changed up the toolbar glyphs.  What do you all think?  Do you like these better or the original ones?

I like new ones better.

Suggestion: An option to close the 'Add record' dialogue by clicking the Enter key (like it works in most apps).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 08:36 PM »
I also changed up the toolbar glyphs.  What do you all think?  Do you like these better or the original ones?

I prefer the new.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 10:33 PM »
Not a user, but I figured I'd give my opinion on the toolbar glyphs. I think the new are nice, but that the cyan background is a bit too much. It takes up a lot of the image and is the brightest color in there, detracting from the bit of the glyphs that really denote the meaning of the icon. Does that make sense?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2011, 12:10 AM »
Suggestion: An option to close the 'Add record' dialogue by clicking the Enter key (like it works in most apps).

Glaring oversight on my part.   :(

Website | Download
v1.0.7 - 2011-01-12
    + Made the add/update/insert button default when adding a record so you can
      press Enter instead of having to click it.  (Thanks, Nikita)

Nikita

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 06:29 AM »
Thanks, Skwire!  :up:

Suggestion: An option to open the selected record ('Update record' dialogue) not only with a double click but also with the Enter key.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:34 AM by Nikita »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 06:34 AM »
It will only auto-open a file if it's in the same folder as the SnapDB.exe.  Personally, I create a \databases folder and put my .snp files in there.

Understood, my curiosity was only in regard to it auto-opening a file in the same folder with the wrong (.snpk) file extension.

Sure, can do, but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve?

Well, I did allow for the possibility that I was doing it wrong... :) ...But I was looking at the possibility of bouncing through multiple .csv files, and allowing for either combining them (which I believe already works), or ("closing" the "file" ) clearing them and starting over without having to close and reopen the program.

One other confusing behavior, was the programs reaction to drag-n-droping a .csv file in the client window. While it appeared to (be trying to) process the file, the result was a blank ListView. Could a .csv/.tsv file drop be made to trigger an import?

On a brighter note: I do like the new glyphs.

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Liking this!

Would be great if:

:: Double clicking in an empty row opened the 'add record' dialogue (whereas currently it opens the 'edit record' dialogue
:: There was the possibility to use a basic 'add and total' formula for any figures entered in a column

:)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.8 - 2011-01-12
    + Dropping CSV & TSV/TXT files on the list now works.  (Thanks, Stoic Joker)
    + Double-clicking a "non-row" area in the listview will trigger the "Add Record"
      dialog.  This is the area below the last record in the list.  (Thanks, Beth UK)
    + Added a "Sum column" option to the listview header menu.  This will attempt to
      sum any numbers found in the column, display the total and offer to copy the
      total to the user's clipboard.  (Thanks, Beth UK)
    * Improved the CSV/TSV/TXT import to automatically add new columns if needed.
      This applies to the pasting in of tab-delimited data as well.

Understood, my curiosity was only in regard to it auto-opening a file in the same folder with the wrong (.snpk) file extension.

I'll test this a bit but it's probably an AHK file-loop quirk.

Well, I did allow for the possibility that I was doing it wrong... :) ...But I was looking at the possibility of bouncing through multiple .csv files, and allowing for either combining them (which I believe already works), or ("closing" the "file" ) clearing them and starting over without having to close and reopen the program.

Maybe the "New database" toolbar button will accomplish what you're after?

One other confusing behavior, was the programs reaction to drag-n-droping a .csv file in the client window. While it appeared to (be trying to) process the file, the result was a blank ListView. Could a .csv/.tsv file drop be made to trigger an import?

Fixed and added in the above build.   :D  Lots of improvements to the CSV/TSV/TXT import routines.  Please let me know if the functionality is what you had in mind.

:: Double clicking in an empty row opened the 'add record' dialogue (whereas currently it opens the 'edit record' dialogue
:: There was the possibility to use a basic 'add and total' formula for any figures entered in a column

Both added in the latest build.  Please let me know if that's what you had in mind.

WobblyWombat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Hi, great program, I may actually get around to organising myself a little! 8)

Not sure if its a bug or user problem, but I made a list of my collection of cutlery, with columns for type, maker, materials etc. - then after entering data, decided I wanted to add a new column on the far left. However the data did not move with the columns, so the new column contained the data from my "Type" column, the column headed "Type" now contained the maker and so on (my last column was empty). Unfortunately I tried to restore it by deleting the "new column" thinking it would just revert, but that deleted the data as well.. (silly me, should've just renamed the headings!)
Hope that makes sense, I'll add screenshot if I can.
Thanks for your work, aside from that minor frustration I love it!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/wobbly_wombat/snapDB1.jpg
NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/wobbly_wombat/snapDB2.jpg
NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.9 - 2011-01-12
    + Added "Append column" toolbar button.
    * Due to some screwy listview bugs, I changed the "Insert column before/after"
      menu items to a single "Append column" item.  This will add a column to the
      end of your current columns.  Once added, simply drag the column to the
      position you want.

Not sure if its a bug or user problem, but I made a list of my collection of cutlery

What a strange bug.  I'm almost positive this is either a listview bug or a bug with how AutoHotkey handles the listview.  I tried writing code to handle it manually but it just introduced other issues.  So, ultimately, I have taken out the "Insert column before" and "Insert column after" items and replaced them with a single "Append column" item.  This will add a column at the end of your current columns.  Once added, simply drag that new column to the position you want.  I also added an "Append column" toolbar button.  Thanks for the bug report.