ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB

(1/41) > >>

skwire:
NANY 2011 Entry Information
Application Name Snap DB Short Description Simple, flat-file database/list app Supported OSes Windows 7.  Probably works, but not tested, on Windows XP/Vista/8. Web Page Website Download Link Download Author Jody Holmes - Skwire Empire
Description
Simple, flat-file database app.

Screenshots

Usage
Installation
Download the zip file and extract its contents into a new folder.  Run SnapDB.exe to start the application.

Using the Application
Pretty self-explanatory; right-click things and use the menu and toolbar buttons.  

Uninstallation
Delete the folder you unzipped it to.  The application doesn't write to the registry.

Known Issues
This is an app I wrote a while back and use for lists of almost everything (games I own, books to read, etc.).  I decided to pretty it up for a NANY 2011 release.  The feature-set is hardly finished and I plan to further develop this.

kyrathaba:
Nice screenshot, Skwire.  I like apps with a clean interface, that are simple to use, yet useful.  Might be able to put this to work.  I notice the file extension is .snp.  Is it in essence a text file, or non-text but flat in the sense that there is no internal hierarchy of tables, etc., such as in a structured database?  In other words, could the files created/used by the program be opened in a text editor?

mouser:
looks fantastic.

couple of quick suggestions:

* 1) on first use, in help file, and maybe even at bottom statusbar on startup it should explain "right-click on column titles to rename them"
* 2) have it auto-reload the last database file, OR the database file in the current directory if no config file entry for last database file exists; one reason this would be SO useful is because it would let users SHARE the exe+database with someone by sending it to them, and all they would have to do is run the exe to have the data loaded and ready.

skwire:
Nice screenshot, Skwire.  I like apps with a clean interface, that are simple to use, yet useful.  Might be able to put this to work.  I notice the file extension is .snp.  Is it in essence a text file, or non-text but flat in the sense that there is no internal hierarchy of tables, etc., such as in a structured database?  In other words, could the files created/used by the program be opened in a text editor?
-kyrathaba (December 26, 2010, 10:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, the format is pretty simple to figure out.  The app was inspired by a couple of apps.  One is called List² and the other was called Table Tool which, sadly, no longer exists though you can still download the app from web.archive.org.  The format is very similar to what those apps use(d).

* 1) on first use, in help file, and maybe even at bottom statusbar on startup it should explain "right-click on column titles to rename them"
* 2) have it auto-reload the last database file, OR the database file in the current directory if no config file entry for last database file exists; one reason this would be SO useful is because it would let users SHARE the exe+database with someone by sending it to them, and all they would have to do is run the exe to have the data loaded and ready.-mouser (December 26, 2010, 10:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can do.

Ath:
It's great :Thmbsup:
One (big, in size) feature request would be to be able to sequentially output the records to print in some form, so I could enter my christmas card addresses into SnapDB and print them nicely (for next years cards ofcourse)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version