ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Naming and Shaming Bad Forums with Bad Ethics

<< < (9/11) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
fannysmack
-Gwen7 (December 29, 2010, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Either thats lost in translation or yeaaaaah....it doesnt mean the same thing in England  :huh:

40hz:
fannysmack
--- End quote ---

Either thats lost in translation or yeaaaaah....it doesnt mean the same thing in England  :huh:
-Stephen66515 (December 29, 2010, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I shudder to think.  :-\

But they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road over there to begin with, so I suppose anything is possible.  ;D

BTW: this side of the pond it's mostly taken to mean the practice of beating up a tourist or first time visitor. There are, however, shall we say...other...interpretations as well?  ;)

KynloStephen66515:
fannysmack
--- End quote ---

Either thats lost in translation or yeaaaaah....it doesnt mean the same thing in England  :huh:
-Stephen66515 (December 29, 2010, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I shudder to think.  :-\

But they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road over there to begin with, so I suppose anything is possible.  ;D
-40hz (December 29, 2010, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

:o.... :(.... >:(...bad 40hz!

lol yeah, a "fanny" here in England, ya know, that little island that basically owns America, and the country above it ;) means something TOTALLY different  8)

Renegade:
... and the same questions are asked over and over and over again. The forum has a rather simple, yet sufficient "Search this thread" function, which is apparently not used much.
--- End quote ---
-40hz (December 29, 2010, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

To be honest, most often I don't think that's an excuse for anything at all. My reasons are different that you may expect though.

The VAST majority of forums and web sites have search functionality that rivals trying to find that penny you swallowed when you were five, over at the local sewage treatment plant. i.e Far beyond useless and well into idiotic.

I cannot count the number of times I've tried to search some forums or a web site and gotten a massive result set shipped in by a garbage truck, and not 1 clue as to how in any reality any of the results could possibly be considered relevant.

Now, different forums/sites have better/worse search functionality, but with so many bad search engines out there, people are basically trained to not search at a site.

It's a bad situation -- time and time again people get no useful results from searches, then get banged over the head for "not searching".

Google, Bing and Yahoo make the problem even worse as they set the bar so high for what people expect when they search.

Now, SMF forums actually have decent search as does vBulletin and some others. But they don't measure up to Google.

I've found myself going to Google to search like this:

some set of keywords site:somesite.com inurl:forum

But then I'm at the mercy of Google's index.

For newbies, I can see why they don't search. Still, there's no excuse for people who should know better, and developer forums... sigh... yeah... no excuse.

On a semi-related topic -- I sometimes start a thread when I already know of previous ones simply due to new information possibly being available. The older, the more likely I am to start a thread.

40hz:
...ya know, that little island that basically owns America...
-Stephen66515 (December 29, 2010, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Little island...little island...that owns America...

What! Has China finally taken over Taiwan and moved it's capital there?  :P ;D

------

BTW: Looked up 'fanny' in my BritSlang dictionary. (Only you guys... :-\)

I seriously doubt she meant it the way some people over there might take it. Especially since the "smack" part would likely require some rather complicated choreography. Possibly even special equipment.

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version