ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Naming and Shaming Bad Forums with Bad Ethics

<< < (3/11) > >>

mouser:
I think "read the manual" is a completely valid response, but only when it's fair to assume that *IF* the person opens up the manual/help file, they will be able to easily find the answer they are looking for.

Most of the time, if the person is asking for help, it means that they cannot find the answer in the manual when they looked, and so even if the answer is in there somewhere, simply telling them to "read the manual" is not helpful.  In those cases a more helpful answer would be "it's in the manual, in this section, at this location."

Stoic Joker:
One problem with manuals is they're not always free or available. As an example, our company paid $15,000 for a phone system, which came with a service & support contract, and zero documentation (which is still an ongoing battle that will not end until I win).

One's stress level can easily effect how "dumb" a question they will field. Like if you are on-site, with a client breathing down your neck, and you have to shit something brillient...now! - We've all been there - Especially when dealing with a new, proprietary, or both system. There is then a tendency to do a broad hip-shot question (that sounds stupid...) in the hopes of finding somebody that is familiar with said system ... So they can help you formulate the right question, and get an answer. e.g. Manuals are only helpful if you either have a specific question, or sufficient time to read the entire thing from cover to cover.

RTFM doesn't have to be mean:
Read
The
Furnished
Manual
 :D

Deozaan:
They really are mean to new users, aren't they? Every new forum member gets a mean title:

New D.I.C Head
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
They really are mean to new users, aren't they? Every new forum member gets a mean title:
 (see attachment in previous post)
New D.I.C Head
--- End quote ---
-Deozaan (December 27, 2010, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahahahaha~! :D

40hz:
I think "read the manual" is a completely valid response, but only when it's fair to assume that *IF* the person opens up the manual/help file, they will be able to easily find the answer they are looking for.

Most of the time, if the person is asking for help, it means that they cannot find the answer in the manual when they looked, and so even if the answer is in there somewhere, simply telling them to "read the manual" is not helpful.  In those cases a more helpful answer would be "it's in the manual, in this section, at this location."

-mouser (December 27, 2010, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For saying that.

So obvious. So correct. So often forgotten or ignored by people (like us) who should know better.

Always open the book and show them the page. Always.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version