ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

USB Safely Remove 4.4 final released * CHANGE OF LICENSE POLICY *

(1/3) > >>

rjbull:
USB Safely Remove 4.4 final is available now. We have improved user interface, made its icon more nicer, restored Win2000 compatibility and fixed some other bugs. Besides we added one important and frequently requested feature: the ability to power off USB drives after their stopping in Vista and Windows 7. Download the version 4.4 right now or read further about new features.

--- End quote ---

Note! The license policy for USB Safely Remove has changed since this version. The license will include one or two years of upgrade subscription. However user can still use the program for lifetime and use one license for every computer you own. Of course this change doesn't affect those who already purchased the license with lifetime upgrades. For a limited time licenses with lifetime upgrades are still available to sell. See new pricing on the order page.
--- End quote ---

Here the SafelyRemove people are giving fair warning (the heads-up came by e-mail)* and still offering true lifetime licenses for a limited time: kudos to them for honourable behaviour.  Compare Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile? for user irritation on a poorly-handled change of license policy. 

>>Edit 2010-12-27
* Apologies.  It didn't come by e-mail.  USBSR popped up its own message saying a new version was available, did I want to go to the Web site.  So I did.
<<Edit

Curt:
the lifetime key is $45 (plus VAT = $56)
for a feature that of course will be standard in Win 8...  :-\
-well, aught to be!
Anyway, you're right; nice service.

Actually, I came to tell that Zentimo is on offer until new-year:

40hz:
Yoiks! I think their asking price is a bit unrealistic considering the many low cost and free alternatives out there. Still, they deserve to be acknowledged (as 'rj' noted) for their candor regarding license term changes. 
:)

wr975:
Well, they're liars. Before purchasing the lifetime license two years ago, I asked them if it truly means "for life" and if I won't have to pay an update price for a major new version or a "pro" version. Of course no. Never. Life means for life.

Updates have been very slow with USB Safely Remove. And now there's "Zentimo", which is kinda the pro version of "USB Safely Remove". The developer say it like this: USBSR won't be getting new features, it'll be kept simple. For those who want new features, buy Zentimo.

If they can't afford lifetime licenses anymore, then do it like Slysoft, or Admuncher... new licenses are limited, but the existing ones stay the same.

rjbull:
Well, they're liars. Before purchasing the lifetime license two years ago, I asked them if it truly means "for life" and if I won't have to pay an update price for a major new version or a "pro" version. Of course no. Never. Life means for life. -wr975 (December 27, 2010, 05:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Repeating part of their license change notice: this change doesn't affect those who already purchased the license with lifetime upgrades
--- End quote ---
I bought a lifetime license first off, and as I read the above, they're honouring it.  The personal lifetime license still says lifetime upgrades.  I agree with 40hz that such a license is now expensive, probably too expensive now. I see there's no lifetime license for commercial use at all, though.

Updates have been very slow with USB Safely Remove. And now there's "Zentimo", which is kinda the pro version of "USB Safely Remove". The developer say it like this: USBSR won't be getting new features, it'll be kept simple. For those who want new features, buy Zentimo.
--- End quote ---
I briefly looked at the features of Zentimo, and decided that it offered more than I need at present, so for now I'm staying with USBSR.  However, I do have a free key for Zentimo v1.0 from one of their free give-aways; they're quite keen on those  :)

If they can't afford lifetime licenses anymore, then do it like Slysoft, or Admuncher... new licenses are limited, but the existing ones stay the same.
--- End quote ---
As I read it, that's what they're doing.  Maybe I'd better tell them about this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version