topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: VLC Coming to Android  (Read 2830 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
VLC Coming to Android
« on: December 25, 2010, 03:44 PM »
vlc-logo.jpg

For those of you who love VLC as much as I do, and own an android phone, you have probably have been waiting for this just as long as I have. The lack of "quality" media players on android has left me with a slight angst for a version of VLC. It looks like that may finally come to fruition.

The VLC media player is a popular open source app for Mac, Windows, Linux, and even iOS. The best thing about VLC is that it’s capable of handling almost any video format you can throw at it without breaking a sweat — although the iOS version is limited by the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad hardware, making HD video playback difficult. Still, I can’t help but be a little excited that the developers are working on a version of VLC for Google Android.

The new Android app could be available for download within the next few weeks. Early development was apparently difficult because Android’s multimedia output libraries were written in Java, but Google recently released tools that let the VLC team write native code for Android.

More at source

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: VLC Coming to Android
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:55 PM »
Awesome! I really like VLC. :Thmbsup:

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: VLC Coming to Android
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Random rant:

VLC was - technically - never an outstandingly good player. The cumulative video quality with the "built-in" codecs - ffdshow IIRC? - is rather bad, visible artifacts and all that. Whenever I have to use VLC for anything, I choose "use system codecs" - also ffdshow for me -, and for some weird reason it has a significantly better quality then; but what's the point to use VLC then?

Oh, and its "200% volume" feature is ridiculous. Take the worst meaning of "loudness" you can imagine; VLC will make it even worse.