ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Not backing up will cost you!

<< < (5/9) > >>

JavaJones:
You really are a bit nuts I think! In my eyes those are all way overkill solutions for most people's needs. Do you even have a rack to mount the NORCO unit in? You haven't given any details on exactly how you intend to use all that space and why you need it in the first place, so it's hard to say what's appropriate and necessary. Again not to say that you *don't* need it, but knowing how you intend to use it will help recommend the best solutions.

For example if your biggest reason for wanting to use RAID is so you can have one giant storage unit with all your stuff on it, consider the option of something like Win7's "library" system. Even if you have e.g. 10 separate drives, you can have all your movies, music, or whatever showing up in a single library, pulling content from multiple independent hard drives.

So far it seems like you just want to play with slick hardware more than anything though. Of course there's nothing wrong with that if you've got the money to back it up. ;)

- Oshyan

superboyac:
lol, it's really not that crazy.  As it is I have almost 4 TB of data that is backed up, some of the data has double redunancy backup.  So, just right now with my simple desktop, I need 8-10 TB worth of hard drives.  Then I have all sorts of things I haven't even put on the computer because I'm running out of space.  In the coming years, I plan on digitizing everything, and when you start talking about video and audio, uncompressed and raw, we're talking big stuff here.  So just keep in mind that I haven't even really STARTED doing that yet.  THen, there's also the issue of some business stuff that I'm working on, and backing up not just my data, but business data, and other friends and family's data, and it will get big real quick.

I don't want to fiddle around with all these enclosures and external drives I have right now.  I have a few drives in my tower, i have a couple attached externally, I have a couple just lying around, and a couple in use in other computers, because there's no central server.  I want to consolidate it all.

It's not that expensive either.  That Norco box only costs $300.  Then all I need is the serving computer.  So I think i will build a small or mid size rack no more than 3-5 feet high, and put it somewhere.  I'm also thinking about putting a LAN in the house so each room can connect to the server hard-wired.  But everyone says that wifi 802.11n speeds should be plenty fast enough for me, but I have yet to see it to believe it.  Can I stream 1080p over a wifi connection in the house?  I doubt it.

4wd:
I'm building me a JBOD server, baby!!
-superboyac (December 29, 2010, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Geezz, the perfect way to lose everything through the failure of one drive.

superboyac:
--- End quote ---

-4wd (December 30, 2010, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wait...huh?  I don't understand why.  I'm not raiding.  i'm just putting a bunch of disks in a rack.  Each disk will have another identical disk (or two) for backup up (not images, but file syncing).  How would I lose everything?  If what you say is true, then even my current setup is at risk.  but I don't think what you are saying is true.

4wd:
--- End quote ---

-4wd (December 30, 2010, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wait...huh?  I don't understand why.  I'm not raiding.  i'm just putting a bunch of disks in a rack.  Each disk will have another identical disk (or two) for backup up (not images, but file syncing).  How would I lose everything?  If what you say is true, then even my current setup is at risk.  but I don't think what you are saying is true.
-superboyac (December 30, 2010, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that maybe I may have misunderstood because of your use of the term JBOD.

Generally, JBOD refers to combining separate HDDs into effectively one bigger HDD so that data is spanned across all of them.  So if the 3rd HDD of a 5 HDD array dies, you've generally lost all data across all HDDs.  You may be able to recover files using recovery software from the other HDDs but it'll be a long process.

By definition, JBOD is non-RAID and therefore there is no data redundancy.

Your explanation of what you're going to end up with is kind of a RAID-1 setup for each individual HDD without actually using RAID.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version