topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: complete 180 on mouse preference - what's the best cheap mouse?  (Read 34323 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: complete 180 on mouse preference - what's the best cheap mouse?
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2010, 08:19 AM »
ah, good advice, 40hz.

+1 -- Thanks for the tip.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2010, 08:47 AM »
The compleat respondent — WD40hz!

What don't you know?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2010, 08:52 AM »

What don't you know?
-cranioscopical (December 29, 2010, 08:47 AM)

Hahahah~!

The tag in the logo at my Renegade Minds site is "Tell me something you don't know..."

A newfie friend of mine shouted that at his brother (also a friend) once when he was really pissed at him. We all laughed our butts off.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 11:39 AM »
ah, good advice, 40hz. i really didn't know what i was doing with the wd40, it was just an act of desperation. but it worked - for now, at least.

next time i'll try proper contact cleaner or something.

No shame in that. I've used WD40 for just about everything short of a salad dressing. It's great stuff. Cheap, readily available, and works as advertised.

How many things can you say that about?  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 11:46 AM »
-cranioscopical (December 29, 2010, 08:47 AM)

*Groan!* pwned again!  ;D :Thmbsup:

What don't you know?

Lots of things actually. Mostly important things, unfortunately.  :-[

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:35 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Seriously, 40hz is like a lifeline on the millionaire show.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2010, 02:21 PM »

Been one three times. None of them cleared that elimination round that comes just before you get to sit with Regis or Meredith.  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:29 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2010, 03:53 PM »

Been one three times. None of them cleared that elimination round that comes just before you get to sit with Regis or Meredith.  :)
Haha, no way!  Sweet.  you'd be like the guy who called his dad just to tell him he won a million.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2011, 04:23 AM »
Earlier, I said I'd post back with my thoughts on the Logitech M500 "corded" mouse.

I've been using the m500 for a few days (on a secondary pc), nothing really standing out as exceptional or unusual with it. It's only a mouse after all. The cord didn't get in the way, I didn't accidentally keep hitting the right button, no real complaints anywhere.

So, it didn't have me doing cartwheels around the room with excitement. But...

I've just come back to my main machine that uses a wireless Logitech MX Revolution which now feels horrible in comparison to the m500. It's like using a brick. The weight difference is immediately noticeable, so much so that I've ordered another m500 to take over the mouse duties with my main/work pc.

Admittedly, I lose a few mouse buttons with the m500 but I think the truth is that I never used them all on the MX Revolution.

My advice, if you don't need wireless - stick with (or go back to) a corded mouse. I never really bought into the wireless idea; I just had to accept it to get the mouse I wanted. Now I can go back to a lovely long cable, no more flat battery delays and no more pushing a brick around the table.

The Logitech M500 was the perfect choice for me, as it closely resembles the shape of the MX Revolution. The button layout is pretty much the same, so it's like using the same mouse - except for when you lift them off the mouse pad.

(If you never lift the mouse of the pad then I appreciate that a heavy wireless mouse won't be an issue. I seem to constantly lift the mouse with almost every movement.)

mouses.jpg

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 06:09 AM »

(If you never lift the mouse of the pad then I appreciate that a heavy wireless mouse won't be an issue. I seem to constantly lift the mouse with almost every movement.)

????

Wow.

Never met anybody who did that.

Forgive my curiosity, but are you feathering your digital brushstrokes or something?  :huh:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 06:31 AM »
Okay, I exaggerated (a little). I don't lift the mouse every time I move it; just a lot of times.

This can't be that uncommon? My wrist tends to stay fixed, acting as the pivot for my hand. So that means lifting the mouse a lot to get the cursor to travel plenty of distance. This just feels a lot less trouble than moving my whole arm to get the same cursor movement.

Oh, and another thing I've not realised. This MX Revolutions "thumb" button thing is really annoying and in the way. No wonder that they've removed on the updated Logitech Performance mouse.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 07:08 AM »
Okay, I exaggerated (a little). I don't lift the mouse every time I move it; just a lot of times.

This can't be that uncommon? My wrist tends to stay fixed, acting as the pivot for my hand. So that means lifting the mouse a lot to get the cursor to travel plenty of distance. This just feels a lot less trouble than moving my whole arm to get the same cursor movement.

funny, I hadn't noticed it before but I do the same (luckily I never did go for a wireless mouse)

I have the MX310 as my main mouse - because it's symmetrical - so can be used left & right. It's lasting well, but unfortunately not made any more - so good to get a few tips here
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 07:29 AM »

Especially with multiple monitors (and/or some wide ones) it's basically mandatory (i think). I do it most frequently when jumping between windows that are on opposite sides of the desktop.

Move cursor to new work-area center position, then lift mouse and set back down on center of pad where your (unmoved) wrist is most comfortable. I'll be willing to bet most people do this - but unconsciously.

Right? :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 07:38 AM »
I have the MX310 as my main mouse - because it's symmetrical - so can be used left & right.

I mothballed my MS v6000 wireless mouse in favour of an HP Elite Desktop (wireless) mouse for this reason. It's also a LOT lighter and easier to push around than the MS unit and, finally, the scroll wheel "clicks" properly (ie functions as a middle button) whereas the last two MS mice that I have used have been really flaky. Pity, really, because the v6000 is only a few months old and I really liked the programmable buttons... However, I rarely used them beyond the occasional "gee whiz, neato, I can do this with my mouse" moment.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2011, 05:12 AM »
I (almost) can't believe I'm saying this. It's enough to make me think I should never post on a forum ever again...

I've now got the MX Revolution and the M500 side-by-side so I can really, really, REALLY, notice the differences. And, I prefer the Revolution. It's the heaviest but other than that it feels the best. It glides better and fits under my hand better as it's slightly higher and shorter.

So, it looks like I'm sticking with the MX Revolution after all (the second M500 that arrived this morning can sit on the desk reminding me not to order things that I don't need, just like the three tablet pcs that I've yet to use). I really shouldn't be allowed to buy things online.

The question is. Do I now hunt for a second used MX Revolution on eBay (to use on my secondary pc), pay more than it's worth, and then decide I don't like it - again, and finally end up getting a trackball or something else I'll worry about.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2011, 07:36 AM »
You could always hack your PC to accept input from a Kinect...  ;D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2011, 09:03 AM »
You could always hack your PC to accept input from a Kinect...  ;D

oh dear. you've just described the future (not for me, of course, but someone has got to do it - if they haven't done so already).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2011, 09:14 AM »
It's enough to make me think I should never post on a forum ever again...

You're not alone in that  ;D

I take it you know already about the aMbidextrouse…

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 10:02 AM »
You mean this...

images.jpg

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2011, 10:57 AM »
How many people on DC are ambidextrous, I wonder? Random curiosity...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2011, 11:52 AM »
How many people on DC are ambidextrous, I wonder? Random curiosity...

depends on your definition -
I use the mouse in both hands but if I have to do fine work it's much easier with my left.
I only started cause I totally screwed up my main hand (for a good while too) when I began using computers (drawing). I was working on a high table with the hard right-angled edge sticking into my wrist....

I used my right hand almost exclusively as training (& to give my left a rest). Brushing teeth with the wrong hand is actually very challenging if you havent done it before!
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2011, 12:12 PM »
I used my right hand almost exclusively as training (& to give my left a rest). Brushing teeth with the wrong hand is actually very challenging if you havent done it before!
When I was in college and playing a lot of basketball, I wanted to work on my left hand so I started doing a lot of things with it to get used to it.  Brushing teeth was one of them.  Now, I'm so used to it, I feel more comfortable with it than the right.  Two days ago, I tried out that P90x (don't laugh), and I got so sore, I couldn't move my left arm, so I had to brush my teeth with my right, and I was surprised by how awkward it felt.  First time I can say I do something better with my left hand than the right.  By the way, it's too early for me to tell, but I think that P90x is as good of a home workout system as you can hope for.  I'm in relatively good shape and am very athletic, and it kicked my ass.  I'm so busy now, i don't get to excercise regularly so I wanted something I can do at home for an hour that would not only be effective, but also not boring.  Most home workout gimmicks will either be super boring, or not work you hard enough.  I've seen people do the easy ones for like two years and not see results, and I'm thinking, man, it's just not intense enough, can't you tell after two years??  Then, the other ones may be intense, but inconvenient with equipment or just a little too weird (think of all the weird doo-dads, thighmaster, etc.).  Anyway, there's nothing really that unique about P90x.  It's not like it's a revolutionary machine or anything.  It's all just normal stuff: pushups, pullups, things with dumbbells, stretching, etc.  What's great about it is the pacing of the video, it's like having a personal instructor on video, and it seems to be effective.

I don't know why I just went off on that, it's because my arm is so sore.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Brushing teeth with the wrong hand is actually very challenging if you havent done it before!
Have to agree with that. When I decided to try for cross-dominance I created a new meaning for the toothbrush moustache.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2011, 12:48 PM »
You mean this...
 (see attachment in previous post)

Well, if you're not using those it really does confirm that you've lost your marbles!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2011, 01:10 PM »

The question is. Do I now hunt for a second used MX Revolution on eBay (to use on my secondary pc), pay more than it's worth, and then decide I don't like it - again, and finally end up getting a trackball or something else I'll worry about.

Although I don’t use the MX Revo anymore - too damned many have failed on me - I always had a few on hand at my house. I used Web Site Watcher to keep an eye on pricing at Amazon, Newegg, and a couple other sites and only purchased one when the price went below $50. This was back when it was fairly new and very popular and sold normally for ~$90 new. Every once in a while one shop or another would have a sale and I would pick up one or two, depending on how low the price was.

Thanks!

Jim