ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

complete 180 on mouse preference - what's the best cheap mouse?

<< < (10/17) > >>

Renegade:
I've been through seven MX Revolution Mice. All eventually fail due to very poor microswitch position design in the left button. Sure, mouse buttons do wear out over time but the MX Revolution has a much worse track record than any other mouse on the market. Check the Logitech forums and you will see that.

There is a way to repair the microswitch but it is not easy. It is very tiny and it doesn’t go back together as easily as it comes out! Kinda spring loaded. Here's a link to the repair instructions:

http://www.overclockers.com/mouse-clicking-troubles-diy-repair/

Also, Rich Owens, the developer of UberOptions, an advanced configuration utility for Logitech mice (add-on for SetPoint) has a page with info about Logitech's oft-failing microswitches here:

http://uberoptions.net/logitech-microswitch

Jim
-J-Mac (December 28, 2010, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for posting that.

click-dragging releases before button is released
--- End quote ---

That was the major problem on my old Logitech mouse, and the main reason to get a new one. Mind you, the mouse was pretty old -- from like 2004 or 2006 or so. It had a lot of miles on it.

J-Mac:
Most Revo's only lasted me ~6 months; one only worked for a little more than three months. I returned three but the replacements eventually failed also. I repaired three at different times. Two worked but one of those only worked for another two months and failed again. The third repair attempt failed. Great mice to use, but too darned fragile IMO!

Jim

nudone:
(as Renegade said) thanks for the info, J-Mac.

the odd thing is that i was sure the left button had failed on this MX Revolution. for several days it had behaved randomly, but now it seems perfectly fine. honestly, it WAS unusable and if it was anything like that now, i'd have hit it with a hammer out of frustration.

so, for all the tips on repairing the micro-switch, maybe all you really need is a very small amount of oil dripped over the button - i mean, inside the mouse, just over the white trigger on the micro-switch.

This MX Revolution is just over two years old and is used all day, everyday. it was also a refurbished product so maybe it had quite a bit of use before me. so, you'd expect the buttons to be playing up by now. maybe.

next time there's a failing micro-switch maybe it's worth risking a tiny drop of oil (WD-40). it made it worse at first but after a couple of days leaving the mouse to one side it has magically fixed it.

40hz:
(as Renegade said) thanks for the info, J-Mac.

the odd thing is that i was sure the left button had failed on this MX Revolution. for several days it had behaved randomly, but now it seems perfectly fine. honestly, it WAS unusable and if it was anything like that now, i'd have hit it with a hammer out of frustration.

so, for all the tips on repairing the micro-switch, maybe all you really need is a very small amount of oil dripped over the button - i mean, inside the mouse, just over the white trigger on the micro-switch.

next time there's a failing micro-switch maybe it's worth risking a tiny drop of oil (WD-40). it made it worse at first but after a couple of days leaving the mouse to one side it has magically fixed it.
-nudone (December 29, 2010, 04:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

It probably worked because while the WD40 did dissolve whatever gunk was affecting the proper operation of the switch, it left behind enough of itself that a good electrical contact couldn't be made.

You're a lot better off buying a can of foaming contact cleaner, available in lubricating and non-lubricating formulas. (For switches. get lubricating.) The key word to look for is foaming. It's designed for use in electronic service applications, so it will clean and evaporate quickly and completely. The lubricant they use is formulated to be electrically conductive and the solvent is known to be safe around electronics. WD40 isn't really intended to be used that way. With WD40 there's a small chance it might dissolve something you don't want it to. It can also damage certain plastics. And because it leaves a residue (and continues working) it may take some time before that type of damage becomes apparent.

Note: Sometimes the lubricating versions are called "tuner cleaner." It's the same thing. Grab it at any RadioShack. One can will last you forever.

:Thmbsup:

nudone:
ah, good advice, 40hz. i really didn't know what i was doing with the wd40, it was just an act of desperation. but it worked - for now, at least.

next time i'll try proper contact cleaner or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version