ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

complete 180 on mouse preference - what's the best cheap mouse?

<< < (2/17) > >>

nudone:
i thought i better check out the MX518. it appears to be the mouse i had before the MX Revolution (well, mine was the 500 to be precise). I also destroyed the left mouse button on that one now that i remember it. So, it seems that logitech left mouse buttons and my index finger eventually fall out of love with each other. i haven't played any games for about 2 years either; i'd understand the buttons failing if i was running around in a shoot-em-up everyday.

At the moment, I'm still thinking of sticking with this cheap Logitech mouse. Maybe I can stick a bit of plastic inside it to strengthen the right button.

One thing I notice with the cheaper mice, they are a lot less bulky and don't require great wrist movements. Instead you can move them just with your fingers keeping your wrist stationary. I'd forgotten how I prefer this kind of mouse movement - feels a lot more precise.

And, StrokeIt quickly takes over from all the mouse buttons I was using - doing even more actions than the buttons ever did.

Darwin:
Well...mouse buttons wear out over time - all the mice I have ever owned have eventually failed, mostly it's the left button that goes (it's the most used, after all).

Renegade:
I had a Microsoft ball mouse that I used for almost 10 years. It was a trooper. Used, abused, and still worked.

4wd:
Usually I've found that it's not the switch that fails but the mechanics of actuating it.  The plastic tab on the bottom of the button or the plastic actuator on the switch itself end up wearing grooves against each other requiring you to exert more force on the button to keep the switch actuated.

It gets to the point where you're actually pushing against the body of the switch rather than actuating it via those two small pieces of plastic.

I have bodged mice back to life by attaching small plastic shims to either the button or switch actuator but you really need to have fallen in love with the mouse or are just plain desperate to be bothered doing it.

Also, I've had to fix some really cheap mice like this because the plastic tab on the bottom of the button wasn't long enough in the first place.

nudone:
Well...mouse buttons wear out over time - all the mice I have ever owned have eventually failed, mostly it's the left button that goes (it's the most used, after all).
-Darwin (December 24, 2010, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

True. But...

I've ditched the Logitech I was using - can't deal with the accidental right clicks.

I'm now using a cheap, cheap mouse I've had for about 10 years (well, I bought it when the optical mouse was still considered futuristic). This mouse has been used for years, thrown into drawers, lent to other people, etc., etc. The plastic finish has worn off it's so old. But it has firm mouse buttons, the right click being perferctly firm. It even feels good under my palm, better than the Logitechs. Why did I ever stop using it I have to ask myself.

It's perfect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version