topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: complete 180 on mouse preference - what's the best cheap mouse?  (Read 34320 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
(Mentioned elsewhere on the forum) I've been using a Logitech MX Revolution for about 2 years. I would still be using it but the left mouse button has decided to misbehave - which means I drag files into the wrong place, select things I didn't want to, etc. I've tried making one of the other 11 (or is it 13) buttons a Left Click but it just doesn't feel right. I've also tried cleaning the inside and sprayed some dw40 into the switch - which may have made it worse.

So, I've decided I'm not going to buy another super-duper mouse with loads of buttons - they've lost my trust.

Instead I'm going to use StrokeIt for all the extra mouse commands and just use a cheap, simple 3 button mouse instead. One cheap enough to not care if the buttons start acting randomly - I'll just throw it away and get another cheap replacement.

The question is: does anyone have an opinion on the best "cheap" mouse. I'm currently using a 3 button Logitech, it doesn't even have scroll left/right on the wheel. This would be fine but I can't seem to stop accidently hitting the right mouse button - I blame the shape of the mouse and the flimsy spring under the mouse buttons.

Are there any "good" cheap mice. Something "ergonomic" perhaps. Or just something that doesn't have flimsy mouse buttons.

Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: complete 180 on mouse preference - what's the best cheap mouse?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 04:11 AM »
Just a quick note:

i will never go back to using a mouse without 2 buttons on the side.  i use them for Back and Forward when browsing the web and i could never do without them.  and of course only the certifiably insane would use a mouse without a scroll wheel.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 05:00 AM by mouser »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 04:59 AM »
Someone mentioned the Logitech MX518 (M518?) in another thread as a good mouse. I think it's about $40 or so. Not really cheap, but it comes recommended. I would have gone with that but I wanted a wireless mouse this time around.

I picked up my Logitech Performance MX (or M950) for $89, which again isn't cheap, but it's far from the most expensive out there. So far I'm quite happy with it. Mind you, I need to recharge it often as it gets a bit sluggish/wonky when the battery is low -- selections become difficult or drop, etc.

I've always liked and used Logitech and Microsoft mice. No-name mice I've used have been thrown out after they didn't work.

Not sure if that helps any.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 05:23 AM »
True, I think I'd want to stick with Logitech (or Microsoft).

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:34 AM »
Another vote for the Logitech MX518 as being very good cheapish mouse.

Admittedly I no longer use mine because the scroll wheel went flakey and I also wanted a new mouse that would keep button profiles in the mouse and not have to load a driver.

You're lucky, StaticIce is now in the UK :)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 07:11 AM »
i thought i better check out the MX518. it appears to be the mouse i had before the MX Revolution (well, mine was the 500 to be precise). I also destroyed the left mouse button on that one now that i remember it. So, it seems that logitech left mouse buttons and my index finger eventually fall out of love with each other. i haven't played any games for about 2 years either; i'd understand the buttons failing if i was running around in a shoot-em-up everyday.

At the moment, I'm still thinking of sticking with this cheap Logitech mouse. Maybe I can stick a bit of plastic inside it to strengthen the right button.

One thing I notice with the cheaper mice, they are a lot less bulky and don't require great wrist movements. Instead you can move them just with your fingers keeping your wrist stationary. I'd forgotten how I prefer this kind of mouse movement - feels a lot more precise.

And, StrokeIt quickly takes over from all the mouse buttons I was using - doing even more actions than the buttons ever did.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:12 AM by nudone »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Well...mouse buttons wear out over time - all the mice I have ever owned have eventually failed, mostly it's the left button that goes (it's the most used, after all).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 10:03 AM »
I had a Microsoft ball mouse that I used for almost 10 years. It was a trooper. Used, abused, and still worked.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Usually I've found that it's not the switch that fails but the mechanics of actuating it.  The plastic tab on the bottom of the button or the plastic actuator on the switch itself end up wearing grooves against each other requiring you to exert more force on the button to keep the switch actuated.

It gets to the point where you're actually pushing against the body of the switch rather than actuating it via those two small pieces of plastic.

I have bodged mice back to life by attaching small plastic shims to either the button or switch actuator but you really need to have fallen in love with the mouse or are just plain desperate to be bothered doing it.

Also, I've had to fix some really cheap mice like this because the plastic tab on the bottom of the button wasn't long enough in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:56 AM by 4wd »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 10:56 AM »
Well...mouse buttons wear out over time - all the mice I have ever owned have eventually failed, mostly it's the left button that goes (it's the most used, after all).

True. But...

I've ditched the Logitech I was using - can't deal with the accidental right clicks.

I'm now using a cheap, cheap mouse I've had for about 10 years (well, I bought it when the optical mouse was still considered futuristic). This mouse has been used for years, thrown into drawers, lent to other people, etc., etc. The plastic finish has worn off it's so old. But it has firm mouse buttons, the right click being perferctly firm. It even feels good under my palm, better than the Logitechs. Why did I ever stop using it I have to ask myself.

It's perfect.

Photo-0004.jpg

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I've been using cheapo, reliable Microsoft optical mice for years.  Mine have two buttons and a scroll wheel.  I just bought a new one from MWave, on sale for three bucks.  Currently ten dollars, shipped ( http://www.mwave.com...%20/Keyboard%20/Mice )

Can you live without that third button?   :)
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:35 AM by mrainey »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 11:35 AM »
Yes, I think I can. Two is definitely the minimum though.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Microsoft mice have a better feel and responsiveness to me then Logitech.

I use a MS Explorer 3.0. It has the two side buttons.
$25 I think I paid for it.
With IntelliPoint 8.0 there is tons of options.

http://www.filehippo...wnload_intellipoint/

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 12:24 PM by cmpm »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Yes, I think I can. Two is definitely the minimum though.
Don't forget that the scroll wheel acts as the third button (if clumsily).

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I've always been a fan of Microsoft's IntelliMouse line for a long time. They're pretty cheap, feel good in the hand, have a decent amount of buttons, and last a good while. Logitechs have IMO succumbed to "style over substance", at least at times. But they do make good hardware generally...

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 03:44 PM »
i'm with JJ -- intellimouse explorer 2.0 wireless here (2nd one).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 04:07 PM »
Here in Paraguay there are not that many places that sell computer hardware. Here in the main capital everything is priced more or less like in Europe. But at the border with Brazil (6 hour drive) there is a city where you can buy computer gear for a lot less. But not the big names, only budget brands.

Now I found out that the top of these budget brands: Satellite have a cheap and remarkably durable mouse (A-21). Here these mouses cost around 6 dollar brand new. That particular mouse feels extremely comfortable to my (European sized) hand.

rsatrioadi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 08:24 PM »
If your country imports Chinese goods (which country doesn't anyway?) you must try to get one made-in-China mouse. It usually has left, middle, and right buttons as well as scroll wheel. In my country the cheapest ones are sold at 15,000 IDR (less than 1.7 USD)! No lie! And I have one that still works after 4 years ;)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 08:57 PM »
i will never go back to using a mouse without 2 buttons on the side.  i use them for Back and Forward when browsing the web and i could never do without them.  and of course only the certifiably insane would use a mouse without a scroll wheel.

I used to think the same, but have found that setting the side scroll functions to page forward and back works just as well, if not better than dedicated buttons. I use a variety of Logitech mice, all of which have tilt wheels, and this works well on all of them. I find it more intuitive than dedicated buttons, and it makes all my mice work the same for browsing.

Along the same lines, the cursor pads on ThinkPad notebooks have dedicated back & forward keys (filling the upper corners of the standard inverted T layout). I find these to be just as invaluable since I often cannot use a mouse when browsing on a notebook.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 05:36 AM »
I was doing the same, using the side scroll action to go forward/back in browsers (and explorer type windows). Somehow, the "dedicated" navigation buttons on the side of the mouse seemed better used for other functions. All academic now that I've only 3 buttons total...

...and, I say again, StrokeIt just feels better than having any extra buttons. Mouse gestures are well accepted in browsers nowadays - using something like StrokeIt means you can have those gestures throughout all your programs.

(Of course, should I buy another mouse with loads of extra buttons, I'll be telling myself how much better they are than using StrokeIt.)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 05:59 AM »
...StrokeIt just feels better...

...using something like StrokeIt means you can have those gestures...

Selective editing. :P

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 05:10 AM »
True to form, I've gone and done another 180 and have reverted back to using the dodgy Logitech MX Revolution. The cheapo corded mouse I mentioned that was "perfect" started moving my cursor around in a random manner; so I just had to get the MX mouse working again.

And, for the moment, it is working. Maybe there was a micron of dust inside the switch causing all the trouble - who knows.

To be on the safe side I've ordered what looks like an decent mouse, a Logitech M500 - main thing is that it's corded, so will be light and means I won't forget to charge it.

After it arrives, I'll post my opinion on it.

21824.jpg

Oh, another thing, it's a refurbished mouse, so only £20 (about $30). Can't really grumble at that.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:12 AM by nudone »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 08:50 AM »
I really like the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000. Solid yet lightweight with a quality "feel" to it. It uses laser optics, a nano-sized receiver, and has great battery life.

mk_wmm4000se_productdetails.jpg

Although primarily designed for laptops, I use it for most of my desktops too. Priced about $35 list. Widely discounted if you shop. Staples and OfficeMax often have it on sale for $19.99. (Last time they, did I bought five!)

Note: for day-to-day web use I still prefer this trackball. Takes a little getting used to at first. However, once you've acclimated, you can absolutely fly with this thing. Not cheap ($99.99 list! - and seldom discounted) but still well worth its asking price IMHO. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:53 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Note: for day-to-day web use I still prefer this trackball. Takes a little getting used to at first. However, once you've acclimated, you can absolutely fly with this thing. Not cheap ($99.99 list! - and seldom discounted) but still well worth its asking price IMHO. :)

Sigh... You've set my gear lust into high gear again...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 09:59 AM »
@Renegade - Sorry man! I got mine (as a gift) ages ago. Probably the only reason why I didn't get a full blown carpal tunnel injury before we all learned about CTS, and how to avoid it.

If you can live without the scroll ring and have an extra $29, there's a newer, sleeker, even more hi-rez version now available from the K-people.

Check it out:

ktrack.jpg
"I want it, I want it, I want it..."

Specs here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:04 AM by 40hz »