ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Virtual Machine Tool

A Gift from VMWare

<< < (4/6) > >>

mouser:
yes, it's supposed to be tomorrow.  he's been out of town and emailed me to say they were approved and are waiting for him in his office for his return on thursday.

Scott:
Thanks again, mouser!  (I really hope you're not sick of me saying that.)

Anyone else getting a kick out of using VMware?  I am transitioning from Virtual PC.  I find VMware Workstation 5.0 somewhat harder to use than Virtual PC (at least at first), but it provides more flexibility and more options.

The main thing that confused me was the networking setup.  With Virtual PC, I never had to worry about bridging, DHCP, or NAT.  And I wasn't too pleased to see VMware Workstation add two new connections (complete with tray icons) to my system upon install.  I removed them almost immediately, which probably made my life more difficult when it came time to get a guest OS to connect out (you know, when you need to install literally 50 or more updates to Windows 2000?).  I ended up using VMnet8 with NAT and DHCP.  I find it odd that I have to do this manually whenever I add a new guest (since bridging is the default).

Good stuff.

Edit:  I was being serious with that comment.  VMware is really cool!  I LOVE the multiple snapshot feature, and all the networking options.  I hated Virtual PC's one-snapshot-only restriction.  I constantly had to decide if I wanted to blow away a known-good snapshot...  And VMware Workstation's documentation is great.

mouser:
our review also remarks on the confusing nature of the networking setup in vmware.  one can only assume that it offers some powerful different options that are useful for testing different things or working in different environments, but it is a bit overhelming in terms of trying to figure out what to choose..

i have used bridged networking relaibly since i have a router and it works quite well.  showing icons in tray for connections is not related to vmware but just a generic windows settings regarding showing active connections; i have that turned off.

chr15:
A Big Hearty Thank You goes out to mouser, and the guys at VMWare.

I am looking forward to having a free moment to download and install VMWare, and seeing what it is capable of.

And hopefully resolve issues in multiple Guest OS.

Chr15

Scott:
i have used bridged networking relaibly since i have a router and it works quite well.  showing icons in tray for connections is not related to vmware but just a generic windows settings regarding showing active connections; i have that turned off.-mouser (May 28, 2005, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use a router, too, but I have the IP and all that configured manually (rather than using DHCP), for a little extra security.  This kind of rules out bridging, unless I want the router having extra (usually unused) IP addresses available.  Duh...  No it doesn't.  I finally figured out how to do it.  I had to simply realise that from the router's point of view, VMware was just another computer on the LAN.  Cool!  :up:

The tray icon thing is a per-connection option; I have it disabled for my main internet connection, but it's on by default for any new ones (as I found out upon installing VMware).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version