ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

18 Monospace fonts comparison screenshot

<< < (3/13) > >>

jroad:
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.  Let me try and clear up some of the questions.

I think there might be a problem with fixedsys and the Proggy fonts though. It looks like they have been scaled on the screenshot?
--- End quote ---

The fixedsys I used is the redesigned FixedSys500c TTF version  (#17 on lowing.org).  I believe the one in your screenshot is the default bitmap version.
The Proggyfonts (www.proggyfonts.com) are pretty slick in that each one comes available in a bitmap, truetype, and X windows format.  The ones I used here are also the truetype version.  I downloaded the bitmap version of Clean and it does seem to correspond to the one in your screenshot as well.  In general, for  my comparison, I used the truetype version if available, something I should have mentioned that before.

Nice work, jroad. But i agree with Jibz, that something must have gone wrong. Some of the fonts looking so bad as to be unusable. Fixedsys for instance. Or Bitstream vera sans mono. I know this font and  i never saw the numbers this crumpy. It is true, that the dot in the "0" is looking sometimes off-center, but the "0" is at least round.
--- End quote ---

My guess here is that you use ClearType?  It certainly smooths things out and makes some fonts bolder.  I will go ahead and upload the ClearType version.  The screenshot size is identical, so if you have an appropriate image viewer (I still use ACDSEE 5) you can quickly see how Cleartype affects the truetype fonts.

OGroeger:
My guess here is that you use ClearType?  It certainly smooths things out and makes some fonts bolder.  I will go ahead and upload the ClearType version.  The screenshot size is identical, so if you have an appropriate image viewer (I still use ACDSEE 5) you can quickly see how Cleartype affects the truetype fonts.

--- End quote ---

I'm afraid not. This is how it is on my systems:

This is Windows without Clearcase:

This is Windows with Clearcase:

And this is on my laptop with KDE and XServer 6.7

Maybe there are other factors that influence the look?

jroad:
Maybe there are other factors that influence the look?
--- End quote ---

Interesting.  Our ClearType samples look the same , but not the standard samples.  I would much prefer my font to look like yours!  Let's see if we can eliminate somei possibilities.  I got my Bitstream Vera Sans Mono from: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/

The file is named VeraMono.tff, is 49K, and dated 4/16/2003.  I used the .zip package (hopefully that shouldn't matter).  Is this what you are using?

OGroeger:
I guess i know what the difference is: My stupidity.

When i said "not clearcase" i put the aliasing setting from "Clearcase" to "Standard". But you meant "not aliasing", right? So you disabled the whole thing using the checkbox?

jroad:
But you meant "not aliasing", right? So you disabled the whole thing using the checkbox?
--- End quote ---

I think you figured out the difference!  I had that checkbox disabled and not set to standard.  Good job figuring that out.  For some reason, I thought it was either ClearType or Nothing (=Standard).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version