ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

18 Monospace fonts comparison screenshot

<< < (2/13) > >>

Jibz:
Very nice comparison -- nothing beats viewing them side by side like that :Thmbsup:.

I think there might be a problem with fixedsys and the Proggy fonts though. It looks like they have been scaled on the screenshot?

jgpaiva:
Thanks for the comparison, jroad.
That's a very good compilation of several fonts, thanks for having the hard word doing the screenshot for helping everyone ;)

My favourite is Andale Mono, as it's perfectlly balanced (dina just seems too vertically streched), the letters are almost round, very easy to distinguish between characters and words, and no problem with similar characters.

housetier:
I have been using Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for a long time now. Bitstream Vera fonts are truetype fonts. The monospaced variant is good for programming because you easily tell "one" from "ell" from "eye" from "big eye"; the zero also looks significantly different from "oh".

Dina has this too, but it does not seem to be a truetype font and therefor is not available for me. My recommendation for all Linux-users is to give Bitstream Vera Sans Mono a shot. On most systems its also known as simply "Monospace".

I know there are bitmap fonts available for linux, but, frankly, they look ugly. Anyway, this is my two cents from the linux front.

OGroeger:
Nice work, jroad. But i agree with Jibz, that something must have gone wrong. Some of the fonts looking so bad as to be unusable. Fixedsys for instance. Or Bitstream vera sans mono. I know this font and  i never saw the numbers this crumpy. It is true, that the dot in the "0" is looking sometimes off-center, but the "0" is at least round.

Jibz:
dina just seems too vertically streched-jgpaiva
--- End quote ---

Just wanted to note that the version in the original screenshot is dina 9pt, which is 1 pixel higher than the original 8pt version from my screenshot. I prefer the slightly lower 8pt version, but I added the 9pt and 10pt versions for people with high resolutions where the 8pt version became too cramped :up:.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version