topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 18 Monospace fonts comparison screenshot  (Read 168454 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 18 Monospace fonts comparison screenshot
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2008, 08:43 AM »
One style to guide them
One glyph to accent them
One face to see them
and, with their hinting, print them.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

harmonv

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Humm, playing a bit with Inconsolatas. It gets way too smudgy when any kind of font smoothing is on (cleartype or not). At 12pt, the l (lowercase L) is too big/fat/wide compared to the rest of the characters, and 10pt it's a bit too small. Other sizes don't work very well (it scales like crap, although font smoothing makes that less appearant). And for some reason, Incosolatas doesn't show up in Notepad++, so I was forced to test it in notepad :-s

Droid Sans Mono seems to be okay, but at 10pt and a 768px-height Notepad++ window, I lose 6 lines of text compared to 10pt Dina. Also, Italic text with Droid is a bit smudgy compared to Dina's �ber-crispness.

Same with Envy Code R, it doesn't work very well at 10pt, some characters are a bit too thin and some a bit too heavy, and I again lose around 6 lines of text.

It should be noted that I use "standard" font smoothing and not cleartype, cleartype is so smudgy and I simply can't stand it, means more strain on my wacko eyes, which is kinda the opposite as to what cleartype is supposed to do? :). And I work at 10pt not 8pt, I guess my eyesight is going bad...

Simply haven't found any font that works as well as Dina for coding and other monospace use.

Thanks for the links, though :)
Re: Envy Code R
It is not strictly a ClearType font but without CT turned on, the diagonal lines look fat and fuzzy.

RE: Inconsolata and Notepad++
It shows up in Notepad++ just fine for me.  It is a ClearType only font.   MS-Consolas looks awful too with CT off.  ClearType is really only for LCD screens. 
While changing font sizes in Notepad++ just now with Inconsolata I noticed the line spacing doesn't change for sizes 12 and below... which creates a lot of vertical whitespace.

With Dina, I have the opposite problem as you.  The editors i've tried won't recognize Dina's old .FON format.  (MS) Notepad sees it and -- whoa -- it its huge compared to 8-pt truetype fonts.  (That solves one curiosity -- I was beginning to wonder if Mouser _was_ that cat with telescoping vision from Disney's "Lady and the Tramp".  I *think* that's the right flick.)

Hmm.  Ok.  After quitting Notepad++ and reset font smoothing from ClearType to standard.  Then fired up Notepad++ again.  It now lists Dina and (old) Courier (.FON files) but the linespacing problem I talked about with Inconsolata is affecting these fonts too. 
Is this a Notepad++ problem or a font rendering gotcha or perhaps the lack of information in the .FON file itself.?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Btw, I do have a LCD/TFT screen (two of them actually) - I just can't stand cleartype. Regular font smoothing is okay for most apps, though. But for some reason, I haven't found anything I can tolerate for coding, except Dina...

Hm, Inconsolatas does show up in NP++ after I rebooted my system today, weirdness.

Dunno if it's a NP++ or font or... whatever... problem. Time to go shopping :)
- carpe noctem

harmonv

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2008, 12:36 PM »
I found the problem -- Idiot Operator Error  :-[ In NP++ i had Settings > Styler Config > Brace Highlight Style > Font Size = 12.  Reseting it to blank was the cure.
Had a look at Andale Mono again -- very similar to Dina but puts a couple more lines on screen.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2009, 08:49 AM »
dont know if there's anything new here (not being a programmer..)

Top 10 Programming Fonts 17 May 2009
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2009, 08:54 AM »
they missed Dina :down:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Tom

Emannresu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2014, 02:55 PM »
37 fonts compared here: http://codingbeacon.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/the-best-programming-fonts/

I wish someone really started a list of fonts in Wikipedia with ergonomic font properties as presented there.

Other critical font features have to be added, like links to download the fonts, license (free/commercial), etc...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:08 PM by Emannresu »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Welcome Emannresu  :up:

I think that blog essay deserves an extended excerpt:

"This post is going to be different. There are no visuals this time.

This is a good presentation of programming fonts http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/30040/Font-Survey-of-the-Best-Monospaced-Programming. However, to choose the best font for a particular use case quickly and efficiently, a different presentation approach is required. Since each letter is a picture, comparing even several fonts is the same as comparing thousands of tiny pictures. Yet, most, if not all, websites that try to solve the issue of finding the best programming font, use graphics…

A couple of days ago I spent some time struggling with the code that had “1” (“one”) instead of “l” (lowercase “ell”).  The common way to compare fonts is to look at the sequence “Illegal1 = O0″. However, comparison gets tricky when your IDE uses both regular and bold variants of the same font to display code. After some time, I came up with the following solution... Below is a table of mono-spaced fonts collected from numerous sources. I chose point sizes so letter sizes look similar.."

Screenshot - 11_4_2014 , 3_37_26 PM.png18 Monospace fonts comparison screenshot

And the conclusion:

The Winner
In my particular case, “Dina” is the best.

Dina is, of course, created by long-time DonationCoder member Jibz, and can be found here: https://www.donation...m/Software/Jibz/Dina

Emannresu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Thanks mouser. The best way to work with that table is to copy-paste it into some spreadsheet. Then, using "autofilter" (in case of Excel), you can filter fonts, write your own notes, and eliminate fonts one by one to get the perfect one you want.

When I think how much time I wasted trying to find proper fonts for various circumstances, I think Wikipedia definitely needs a page "list of monospaced fonts for programmers."

Currently wiki has just a bunch of pictures https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samples_of_monospaced_typefaces.

There is no way somebody can compare fonts properly using that wiki page. A list is definitely needed there. Visuals don't help at all when you have hundreds of fonts.
If anyone is considering making a list in Wikipedia, here's the manual.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2014, 02:17 AM »
And the conclusion:

The Winner
In my particular case, “Dina” is the best.

Dina is, of course, created by long-time DonationCoder member Jibz, and can be found here: https://www.donation...m/Software/Jibz/Dina

Wow, I am really happy to see Dina doing so well :-*.

Emannresu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Jibs and everyone else, hello again!

I decided to post some feedback on Dina font here here. I suspect that the font either has some property or, maybe lacks it, which causes misaligned folded code icon “<->” of RStudio and Dina’s bracket glyphs “{}”.
Dina: dina_.png18 Monospace fonts comparison screenshot
Gohufont: gohufont11.png

I am wondering whether this misalignment could be fixed.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 12:58 AM »
Interesting, is that on Windows, and if so are you using the FON version of Gohufont as well?

Emannresu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2016, 05:11 AM »
Interesting, is that on Windows, and if so are you using the FON version of Gohufont as well?
Yes, that's on Windows, and yes, it is a *.fon version of the font. Also, I downloaded Gohufont from here http://font.gohu.org/ and the zip package contains 4 *.fon files and I use "gohufont-11.fon".)

Have you downloaded RStudio? Iirc, there is an option to download standalone file where no installation is required.
FYI: RStudio uses chromium framework, if my understanding is correct. You can right-click the code window and choose 'Inspect' to see the html source of the page. You'll see the same "internals" as you see by pressing F12 in chromium-based browsers.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:25 AM by Emannresu, Reason: confirmed my initial answer »