topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SteamPrices - a better way to shop for bargains on Steam?  (Read 7856 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SteamPrices - a better way to shop for bargains on Steam?
« on: December 21, 2010, 06:17 PM »
SteamPrices - I mentioned it at the end of this thread but it's probably better making it a bit more prominent.

2010-12-22_11-15-14.jpg

You can see how much you're being ripped off in your part of the world compared to another Steam store.

But the Top Savings selection will also let you find the bargains, eg. Battlefield 2: Complete Collection is actually US$3.75 cheaper from the Australian Steam store.

Addendum: Better add this from the site.

A short note for the easily angry people: Don't blame Valve, they don't make the prices.

And now it's off to spend yet more money  :(
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:20 PM by 4wd »

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SteamPrices - a better way to shop for bargains on Steam?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Nice site but I still blaime Valve. When they list a price as 59 Euros equals 59$ they are accepting and promoting the trick. They could refuse to include game but they don't. VAT is included when dealing in Euros but still a trick. Is there any documentation about why poor Valve must bend over to other game companies? I think they share.

I will buy Commander Keen though http://store.steampowered.com/app/9180/ :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Nice site but I still blaime Valve. When they list a price as 59 Euros equals 59$ they are accepting and promoting the trick. They could refuse to include game but they don't. VAT is included when dealing in Euros but still a trick. Is there any documentation about why poor Valve must bend over to other game companies? I think they share.

It happens everywhere, eg. Why is Windows OS more expensive in Australia?

And Microsoft will go on about transport, (yeah right), government taxes, market forces, etc, etc - but what it comes down to is: Because they can screw more out of us and accept that we'll take it.  The majority of people are too dumb to go look online for a better deal in another part of the world.

So yes, I am agreeing with you in a round about way :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:36 PM »
I've seen that one, and didimatic.com, but I still go back to just the regular steam site.  These improvements that the third party sites give are pretty incremental, and the regular steam site is so convenient that I don't even peruse these sites any more.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Why did MS wait to allow family licenses for Windows in my country until the first big rush was over? Business is business but there is an annoying in your face factor with Steam. And they can't do anything about it? Yeah right. Convenience and sales outweighs cons and they know that ;) Nothing is for free.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:38 PM »
I've seen that one, and didimatic.com, but I still go back to just the regular steam site.  These improvements that the third party sites give are pretty incremental, and the regular steam site is so convenient that I don't even peruse these sites any more.

But you're in the USA, as such you're not getting so blatantly ripped off - the regular Steam site is convenient for you but it can be extortion for the rest of us, (non-USA).

eg. Soldier of Fortune: Payback is 5+ times higher priced than the in the UK for the exact same game, delivered the same way - if anything it should be cheaper because the electrons can roll downhill.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:47 PM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:45 PM »
Thanks for that link! Very useful.  :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:16 PM »
It happens everywhere, eg. Why is Windows OS more expensive in Australia?

Because EVERYTHING is more expensive in Australia... :( (I could rant and rant and rant about prices here. Meh, think I will... :D )

NSFW rant
Research shows that the average Australian consumer ass hole is 30% to 500% larger than their American counterparts. Further analassis of Australian retailers detected unusually high concentrations of fecal matter on their cocks. While the correlation seems to be strong, further analassis needs to be done, starting with some good old fashioned fisting...

Market segmentation like that is really annoying, especially inside of the same language.

The worst part is that it's only got to do with getting as much money as possible no matter what.

The core problem, as I see it, is that we have an idea of fairness, and this just doesn't seem fair.

Across different languages it seems reasonable to have different prices. They're different products at that point. Who would pay $5 for a game in Chinese that you can't read, and hence can't play? But $15 for the English version? Makes sense. Kind of...

That's where I think it's good to offer products cheaper in different economies. e.g. Instead of $50, sell for $5 or less in third world countries. When large parts of the population make about $400 a year, I can't see maintaining a price that's way out of reach.

But that's a very different case from the US vs. the UK vs. Canada vs. Australia. I can't see a valid justification there.

On a serious note about prices here in Australia, I've heard people try to justify it by saying that it's an island and far away... However, take for example a cheap toy doll that sells for $10, and then take an iPod Touch 64GB that sells for $399 in the US and $499 in Australia. ($1 AUD is about $0.98 USD, so close enough to 1:1) $100 more expensive? If the "island far away" BS were true, the toy doll would be $110. After all, it's transportation costs, right? BS. It's greed, pure and simple. (And hence my rant about prices above.)

Transportation and logistics costs are fixed. Here are the iPod Touch prices:

Australia:
8GB A$289
32GB A$378
64GB A$499

US
8GB $229
32GB $299
64GB $399

Differences:
8GB $60
32GB $79
64GB $100

They are all the exact same size with NO difference in logistics costs. But the price difference doesn't reflect that.

I was recently in Cambodia at Angkor, and the vendors there pester the Hell out of you to buy, even when you show them that you have what they are selling already. As 1 example, my wife bought a scarf for $1, but the price for it started at $8. It's capitalism on steroids. I can't really blame people there for it though as they are extremely poor. Poor as in no electricity or running water poor. Like really really poor. They're trying to survive.

But I have a hard time with a company in the first world blatantly ripping off customers. They have no excuse.

Well, I'm rambling now...

But the Steam Prices site looks very cool~!

Anyone know of any good proxies (paid ones) that let you get different IP addresses?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:51 PM »
As I did with timns, I'm happy to gift games over Steam to you.  You can either Paypal me the money directly or use the DC credit system.  PM me the Steam game URL and your email address and BAM!, you'll get your games at the U.S. prices.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:58 PM »
Because EVERYTHING is more expensive in Australia...

You should try buying fuel in the UK then :)

VPNSteel is free and you'll get a USA IP.  Haven't looked for one for the UK/EU.

You can create a dummy Steam account and use it to gift purchases to your 'real' account.....or use the skwire and Deozaan gifting service  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:01 AM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:16 AM »
Wow. Civilization 5 is $50 in US, or $30 in the UK.

Guild Wars: Eye of the North is $20 (on sale!) in the US, or $10 in the UK.

Looks like I may have to find someone in the UK.